The Student Room Group

Help with M1 needed!

Original post by honour
x

Just use Impulse =m(v-u) but be careful with the signs. The impulse on A and the impulse on B cant both be positive since they act in opposite directions

I would let the right direction be positive. Which means the impulse on A equals 7mu2 \displaystyle -\frac{7mu}{2} since its acting to the left.

Going by your diagram im assuming thats what the problem is.
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42
Just use Impulse =m(v-u) but be careful with the signs. The impulse on A and the impulse on B cant both be positive since they act in opposite directions

I would let the right direction be positive. Which means the impulse on A equals 7mu2 \displaystyle -\frac{7mu}{2} since its acting to the left.

Going by your diagram im assuming thats what the problem is.

Hey, thanks for your response! So if after rearranging the impulse equation for A, I get u = 4/3v What should I do then?
Original post by honour
Hey, thanks for your response! So if after rearranging the impulse equation for A, I get u = 4/3v What should I do then?

hmm i didnt get that answer, post your workings

also your answers will be in terms of u
Reply 4
hmm i didnt get that answer, post your workings

also your answers will be in terms of u

I realised I got one of the signs wrong, sorry. Here's my working

I've assumed the direction of V to be to the right, because it doesn't tell us in the question
Original post by honour
I've assumed the direction of V to be to the right, because it doesn't tell us in the question

yea thats fine, you can let the positive direction be whichever way you like.

the velocity of A before the collision is (-2u) not (-u), it should read I=2mv+4mu \displaystyle I = 2mv + 4mu
Reply 6
yea thats fine, you can let the positive direction be whichever way you like.

the velocity of A before the collision is (-2u) not (-u), it should read I=2mv+4mu \displaystyle I = 2mv + 4mu

Right, thanks for pointing that out. I've got it all sorted now. VA = 1/4u and VB = 1/2u.

Thanks so much for your help Dylan, you've been brilliant! :thumbsup:
Original post by honour
Right, thanks for pointing that out. I've got it all sorted now. VA = 1/4u and VB = 1/2u.

Thanks so much for your help Dylan, you've been brilliant! :thumbsup:

yep, well done :biggrin:

no problem

Quick Reply

Latest