The Student Room Group

2 week vegan/vegetarian diet?

I have been going to the gym for 2 years and I am around 20% body fat, i am so sick of having fat on my face while everyone who is "good looking" have very define masculine faces. Makes me think that the reason why I never have any success with girls is due to my face (I am confident).

Will a vegan diet do the job quickly? Or should I try be slow about this.

Or maybe i should go for a low carb diet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
I have been going to the gym for 2 years and I am around 20% body fat, i am so sick of having fat on my face while everyone who is "good looking" have very define masculine faces. Makes me think that the reason why I never have any success with girls is due to my face (I am confident).

Use MyFitnessPal and track your calories. Make sure you are in a caloric deficit and mainly eat whole-foods. Don't cut out carbs, carbs give you energy.
Good luck bro
This is coming from a veggie, being vegan/vegetarian is much harder than it looks especially if you ate meat everyday. Just have one veggie/vegan day a week and then increase it if that's what you want.
2 weeks is not enough to see any real difference, making it essentially pointless.

If you want to lower your body fat percentage, which should hopefully see a reduction in fat deposits on your face you need to think long term and sustainable.

To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit, regardless of what type of diet you choose and whether you choose to create a calorie deficit either by diet, exercise or both.

@Angry cucumber @WoodyMKC @Unistudent77 @BKS

Tagged a bunch of people who generally give good advice on this topic.
As @SophieSmall said, 2 weeks isn't enough to make a huge difference regardless of diet. Even if you were on illicit fat burners (with the exception of one particular sort which I shall not name), 2 weeks still wouldn't be enough. If you were being mega aggressive you could lose maybe up to 10lbs of actual bodyweight in a couple of weeks, which if you're at 20% bodyfat isn't going to be very noticeable.

Going vegan certainly isn't required to lose fat quickly btw. In fact, I'd say PSMF is the quickest way, and this diet is based around eating only lean meat and high fibre veg.
(edited 7 years ago)
You need fat more than anything to live and veganism doesn't ensure you'll be low on fats (I pretty much live off peanut butter and it has LOADS of fat). I do think it'll help you comfortably cut your calories though because you get full from these kinds of fats very quickly and for a long time (in my experience).
@SophieSmall - can't rep you, thanks for the tag

OP - As Sophie said, 2 weeks is way too short a time period.

As a poster already said, downloading myfitnesspal and tracking calories would be a what i'd advise.

You need to be in a calorific deficit to lose weight. Simple as that.

A vegatarian/vegan diet would make it so much harder to get an adequate protein intake (especially for a beginner). I'm not saying impossible but there is no advantage to eliminating meat with regard to weightloss.

So my advice is this:

-Track calories, aim to lose 1/1.5lbs a week. Aim longer-term, 3/4 months at a lb a week will help you massively

- Reduce but don't eliminate carbs, keep fat intake (don't remove fat) and protein intake reasonable.

- Do cardio and continue hitting the gym with regard to weight training.

You will lose fat and therefore your face will be slimmer but fat will be lost from all over you. You can't spot reduce fat.

The FAQ, which is stickied in the 'fitness' sub-section, will be of great help to you.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually recommend keeping your latest non-vegan products around as it gives you less of a psychological sense that you're starving yourself. It makes me completely ignorant of my caloric deficit.

Just remember to try again if you fail rather than giving up trying altogether.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
My vegan diet has 3000-3200kcal per day. I doubt you'd loose weight on that. Which is to say, eating a vegan diet or not has nothing to do with weight gain or loss
Original post by Mistletoe
You need fat more than anything to live and veganism doesn't ensure you'll be low on fats (I pretty much live off peanut butter and it has LOADS of fat). I do think it'll help you comfortably cut your calories though because you get full from these kinds of fats very quickly and for a long time (in my experience).

On the contrary, you could go on a low fat diet for a substantial period and generally be okay - not saying they're not a necessity, but you could survive on low amounts. Proteins on the other hand are essential in maintaining your immune system and essential enzymes, repairing the body after any kind of activity and helps in the creation of vital hormones, as well as of course maintain muscle mass, which we need to function properly. Again, fats are vital too, but protein is even more so. There's also evidence to suggest that a greater ratio of proteins to other macronutrients = more weight loss on diets of the same caloric total.

Just addressing that generally, not saying that you can't get sufficient protein from a vegan diet because you certainly can. However, switching to a vegan diet is going to be hard work for a lot of people so hardly a comfortable change, and as I said above, if you're going to make a drastic change to your diet for weight loss then it doesn't get any better than PSMF in terms of sheer results. We also cant automatically assume you'll lose weight on a vegan diet since that thing, caloric intake, which could still be high on a vegan diet but with PSMF, you're not going to be anywhere near maintenance if you stick to the allowed foods because, let's face it, nobody can eat huge amounts of such bland foods!
The problem in either case of course lies in maintaining that weight loss post-diet, since that in itself requires a change from previous eating habits.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im just an insecure mess these days tbh few weeks ago i was losing weight well by eating a deficit and really limiting my sugar :smile:

However since then I have been slacking a lot using building muscle as an excuse to eat anything.

So now im.going to dedicate myself to losing fat by:
Walking to and from school
Half term walking 30mins on an empty stomach
Regular weightlifting with 10minute walk incline after.
Continue eating as much veg fruits water as possible

No it won't it all depends on calories; how many you eat vs how many you burn

Original post by WoodyMKC
As @SophieSmall said, 2 weeks isn't enough to make a huge difference regardless of diet. Even if you were on illicit fat burners (with the exception of one particular sort which I shall not name), 2 weeks still wouldn't be enough. If you were being mega aggressive you could lose maybe up to 10lbs of actual bodyweight in a couple of weeks, which if you're at 20% bodyfat isn't going to be very noticeable.

Going vegan certainly isn't required to lose fat quickly btw. In fact, I'd say PSMF is the quickest way, and this diet is based around eating only lean meat and high fibre veg.

PSMF is actually debunked as a quicker way to lose fat; it losses fat at the same rate as any other diet compared to muscle loss. It's also alarmingly restrictive on what you can eat, hence I don't tend to recommend it
Original post by Angry cucumber
PSMF is actually debunked as a quicker way to lose fat; it losses fat at the same rate as any other diet compared to muscle loss. It's also alarmingly restrictive on what you can eat, hence I don't tend to recommend it

Depends how you mean. I don't think many people would have argued that it burns more fat on a per-alorie basis than all other diets, so to speak. It's basically a keto diet that encourages a low caloric intake without much thought being required and the overall logic behind it being, you're not going to overeat what's on the menu. Personally, you'd never catch me on such a diet and I always say that balance is the way to go, but if one wishes to pick an extreme diet to lose weight over a short period, PSMF would be my pick, purely because the choice of foods make it easiest to adhere to a very low caloric intake.
Im just an insecure mess these days tbh few weeks ago i was losing weight well by eating a deficit and really limiting my sugar :smile:

However since then I have been slacking a lot using building muscle as an excuse to eat anything.

So now im.going to dedicate myself to losing fat by:
Walking to and from school
Half term walking 30mins on an empty stomach
Regular weightlifting with 10minute walk incline after.
Continue eating as much veg fruits water as possible

Be advised that fruit contains calories too and generally isn't that filling, so eating as much of it as possible isn't a great weight loss plan.
I didn't go straight into Veganism but it's really easy once you know what you can eat. I became more aware of what I'm eating.

Quick Reply

Latest