Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Voting Age Reduction Bill 2017, TSR Liberal Party

Voting Age Reduction Bill 2017
    This Bill would reduce the voting age in parliamentary and other elections to 16.

1. Reduction of the voting age

(1) The Representation of the People Act 1983 (c. 2) is amended as follows –

(a) In section 1(1)(d) (definition of voting age for parliamentary elections), for “18” to be replaced by “16”; and

(b) In section 2(1)(d) (definition of voting age for local government elections), for “18” to be replaced by “16”

(2) The Representation of the People Act 1985 (c. 50), in section 1(5) (entitlement to vote of oversees electors), for “18” to be replaced by “16”.

2. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Voting Age Reduction Bill 2017.

(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom

(3) This Act comes into force the day it is passed.

Notes

A logical progression as 16 year olds are at an age where they make real and consequential decisions about their lives and many significant rights are apparent.

The purpose of this bill is simple, for equity. If young people are able to take on huge amounts of debt to go to university, make decisions as to whether or not they want to have a family, make tax contributions and join our armed forces they should be able to decide who governs the country.

Scotland is exempt from 1.(1)(b) as the voting age for local government elections is already 16 years or over.

Links to the bills being amended are - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/50
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Only those who are politically engaged will be inclined to vote anyway, and as such will end up self-selecting. Entirely sensible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Yes. Only those who are politically engaged will be inclined to vote anyway, and as such will end up self-selecting. Entirely sensible.
    So how come the referendum turnout was over 70%, and general elections are well into the 60s, are you seriously telling me the vast majority are politically engaged?

And if this is the case then why have a voting age at all?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I used to agree, not so sure now. Will probably vote in favour unless convinced otherwise. The main thing is making sure there's decent civics education in schools.

Good bill though. Liberals doing what liberals should be doing.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Definite Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Again, as I always say, no! I personally strongly believe that even myself at the age of 16, would've probably thought it quite funny along with my mates to vote for Farage...

"A logical progression as 16 year olds are at an age where they make real and consequential decisions about their lives and many significant rights are apparent." <-- I think that is entirely subjective, and I could make the same sentence just with 18 instead of 16.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I used to agree, not so sure now. Will probably vote in favour unless convinced otherwise. The main thing is making sure there's decent civics education in schools.

Good bill though. Liberals doing what liberals should be doing.
    On one hand, I want to agree with you on this, on another we've agreed on things too much in the last 24 hours!!!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So how come the referendum turnout was over 70%, and general elections are well into the 60s, are you seriously telling me the vast majority are politically engaged?

And if this is the case then why have a voting age at all?
    In the sense I mean it, yes. Being that they care enough about voting to vote. That is the only necessary thing IMO. I don't personally care if people vote at random - that is their right. I'd rather they didn't, but there are many things I'd rather people didn't do that I believe they should be allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Again, as I always say, no! I personally strongly believe that even myself at the age of 16, would've probably thought it quite funny along with my mates to vote for Farage...

"A logical progression as 16 year olds are at an age where they make real and consequential decisions about their lives and many significant rights are apparent." <-- I think that is entirely subjective, and I could make the same sentence just with 18 instead of 16.
    Good point!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    In the sense I mean it, yes. Being that they care enough about voting to vote. That is the only necessary thing IMO. I don't personally care if people vote at random - that is their right. I'd rather they didn't, but there are many things I'd rather people didn't do that I believe they should be allowed to.
    I'd rather we minimised uninformed voters, even properly politically engaged does not mean politically informed, and we have enough politically uninformed idiots voting already.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. You get utterly un/mis-informed idiots who know absolutely nothing relevant to politics at every age, it doesn't strike me as a good reason to stop young people specifically from voting - especially as after the age of 16 you have no compulsory education that might have any impact at all on how well-informed you are. Many 16 year olds, however, are passionate about politics and its impact on their own futures and by all accounts demonstrated this well during the Scottish Independence campaign.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    You've just described the reasoning of 80% of UKIP voters
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather we minimised uninformed voters, even properly politically engaged does not mean politically informed, and we have enough politically uninformed idiots voting already.
    I understand your logic completely, and find myself sometimes thinking the same thing. Ultimately, though, I think that a government cannot be legitimate without a broadly universal right to vote. For me, this must necessarily extend to all people with capacity - including prisoners. The problem is, how would you decide who was informed enough? A test would prove somebody's academic credentials, sure, but I am unconvinced that such things are that important really. Off the top of my head, asking them to identify a few key policies would be more appropriate (?), but I'd still not be in favour.

ReputationRep:
    Please god no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, there is no justification for lowering the voting age when a boundary needs to be drawn somewhere. 18-year-old adults are not fully developed mentally, however, as the boundary for when an individual is viewed as an adult, 18 is a good age for the voting limit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Aye. You get utterly un/mis-informed idiots who know absolutely nothing relevant to politics at every age, it doesn't strike me as a good reason to stop young people specifically from voting - especially as after the age of 16 you have no compulsory education that might have any impact at all on how well-informed you are. Many 16 year olds, however, are passionate about politics and its impact on their own futures and by all accounts demonstrated this well during the Scottish Independence campaign.

You've just described the reasoning of 80% of UKIP voters
    It is not a question of being informed, it is a question of finding a metric to help justify the drawing of an arbitrary boundary for a voting age.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, 16 year olds can have sex, get married, join the forces, work full time, drive a moped, Drink wine/beer with a meal whilst acompanied by an over 18, we can even join trade unions for goodness sake, so why do we not have the vote?, at 16 we are pretty much adults, So why dont we have the vote?
    About that, I am 16, do you think that I, someone who is on a model house of commons forum, would be an 'uninformed voter' although I do agree with the latter *cough cough*UKIP*cough cough*
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay, it's where it is for a reason, Brexit wouldn't have happened, Scotland could have been independent!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No. 16 is just as arbitrary a number as 18, you have to draw the line somewhere - so why not 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyBread)
    About that, I am 16, do you think that I, someone who is on a model house of commons forum, would be an 'uninformed voter'
    Yes.

although I do agree with the latter *cough cough*UKIP*cough cough*
    And this inability to avoid virtue signalling is precisely why. I shudder at the thought of sixteen year-olds deciding the future of the country in which I live.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.