Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm getting dumber and I don't know why Watch

Ever since starting sixth form, I put in lots of work to maintain being a straight A student; I am also a member of Mensa and I debate various topics with my friends regularly. However, during this half term, I've noticed my mental ability dropping and I genuinely don't know why. My grades are slowly starting to drop; it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to debate because I can't seem to argue my position or spot the flaws in my opponent's position; I'm finding it difficult to use the words I know to express what I'm thinking (both in English and in Spanish, which I'm learning at school); and, worst of all (considering that I'm doing maths, further maths and physics as my other subjects), I sometimes just don't see any way to approach a mathematical problem I have to work through, which was always obvious to me. In addition to the above, I just can't find the motivation to do anything fun anymore. I just want to be left alone.

What's worse is that I genuinely don't know what's causing this. The situation in my family is as stable as ever; I have good friends on whom I know I can count; I don't have any problems at school or at my part time job; I don't feel depressed; I'm not getting any less sleep than I have been getting for years; my diet is the same; I didn't start taking drugs (except cannabis four times and LSD once, but all that was ages ago) or drinking... literally everything about my life is the same as always.

What can I do to address the causes of a problem which doesn't appear to be caused by anything?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ever since starting sixth form, I put in lots of work to maintain being a straight A student; I am also a member of Mensa and I debate various topics with my friends regularly. However, during this half term, I've noticed my mental ability dropping and I genuinely don't know why. My grades are slowly starting to drop; it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to debate because I can't seem to argue my position or spot the flaws in my opponent's position; I'm finding it difficult to use the words I know to express what I'm thinking (both in English and in Spanish, which I'm learning at school); and, worst of all (considering that I'm doing maths, further maths and physics as my other subjects), I sometimes just don't see any way to approach a mathematical problem I have to work through, which was always obvious to me. In addition to the above, I just can't find the motivation to do anything fun anymore. I just want to be left alone.

What's worse is that I genuinely don't know what's causing this. The situation in my family is as stable as ever; I have good friends on whom I know I can count; I don't have any problems at school or at my part time job; I don't feel depressed; I'm not getting any less sleep than I have been getting for years; my diet is the same; I didn't start taking drugs (except cannabis four times and LSD once, but all that was ages ago) or drinking... literally everything about my life is the same as always.

What can I do to address the causes of a problem which doesn't appear to be caused by anything?
    Consider talking to your teachers and see what they suggest. You might benefit from some extra help. If you're finding your struggling with things that you used to be able to do, and haven't changed in difficulty, then maybe consider a trip to the doctor. For example, if you find reading difficult or struggle understanding the same things you could understand a year ago

ReputationRep:
    must be nice doing those alevels , enjoy oxford university

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Consider talking to your teachers and see what they suggest. You might benefit from some extra help. If you're finding your struggling with things that you used to be able to do, and haven't changed in difficulty, then maybe consider a trip to the doctor. For example, if you find reading difficult or struggle understanding the same things you could understand a year ago
    I considered talking to my teachers, but I don't know which teacher to talk to, since it's quite a general problem. Furthermore, the problem is not just school-related. However, this has given me more confidence to speak to a teacher about this, so that's what I'll do. It's better to something than nothing, right?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it could be from doing too much work? A levels are tough, especially if you are doing stuff on the side as well, so your brain may just be tired.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a similiar issue, although mines in two of my a-level subjects and is confined to academics.

I'm talking to a teacher tomorrow about it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.