The Student Room Group

Picking between maths and further maths

So I'm picking A-levels this year and currently I've picked Chemistry, Economics, Philosophy. I want to go into Finance or Economics at Uni but i'm not really sure if i necessarily need Further Maths in order to get into those courses.I don't particularly want to do Further Maths as it seems a lot more complicated and long compared to A Level Maths but i want to know if i HAVE to do it so that i can get into a uni course. Currently I'm in middle set and got an 8 in my mock results. I think I can get a 9 if i put more effort and that is the entry requirement for further maths at my school so i think i can choose between both.
(edited 7 years ago)
to do further maths you have to be doing maths as well, you can't just do further maths on its own. so you can either do both or just maths. lots of top unis like further maths for economics but its not necessarily essential.
Reply 2
Need further maths to do maths, a lot of stuff you learn in further relies on normal maths
Reply 3
If you are aiming for Economics in the top 5 (Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick) then it's must (not a requirement but all the other good candidates will have it).
If you aim for top 20s, taking it up to AS would be helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by jasminglynne
to do further maths you have to be doing maths as well, you can't just do further maths on its own. so you can either do both or just maths. lots of top unis like further maths for economics but its not necessarily essential.

i know that i cant do further maths on its own as my school merges maths and further maths into 1 option block at AS level and gives me less free periods. But i want to know if i be disadvantaged applying to uni if i didn't do further for economics
Original post by shun1234
i know that i cant do further maths on its own as my school merges maths and further maths into 1 option block at AS level and gives me less free periods. But i want to know if i be disadvantaged applying to uni if i didn't do further for economics

I don't think its the end of the world if you don't do further maths. Not even all maths degrees require further maths. If you think you are capable and are happy to do the extra maths then go for it, I do further maths and I love it, but don't just do it for the sake of applying for Economics. It's better to focus on the subjects you want to do and get good grades for them than force yourself to do further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest