Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  14861517197462039108758.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  312.1 KB hi, the question asks for the peaks for malicious acid with D20. For the environment circled in blue, I don't know whether that willl be a HC-O environment or a H-C-C=O environment...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Name:  14861517197462039108758.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  312.1 KB hi, the question asks for the peaks for malicious acid with D20. For the environment circled in blue, I don't know whether that willl be a HC-O environment or a H-C-C=O environment...

Thanks
    In nmr, the shielding effects are roughly additive, that is to say the shift of this proton will be shifted up by both the neighbouring groups, so the shift would be higher than for HC-O or HCC=O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    In nmr, the shielding effects are roughly additive, that is to say the shift of this proton will be shifted up by both the neighbouring groups, so the shift would be higher than for HC-O or HCC=O

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, how can you deduce this? This is only a-level chemistry, so is this something I should learn by heart? Also by 'shielding effects' , do you mean you will choose the one with a higher chemical shift?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how can you deduce this? This is only a-level chemistry, so is this something I should learn by heart? Also by 'shielding effects' , do you mean you will choose the one with a higher chemical shift?

Thanks
    Not really something you can deduce, just take it as fact and use it.

What I mean by shielding effect is:

A neighbouring C-O deshields the proton i.e. Increases its chemical shift

A neighbouring C=O also deshields the proton and hence increases its chemical shift

The proton in the question has both of these groups next door, so it's shift will be increased by both effects to a value above the shift you would expect for either group on its own.

The idea of shielding and deshielding is possibly above a level, but all it means is that something decreases (shielded) or increases (deshielded) the chemical shift of the proton you're interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    hi, the question asks for the peaks for malicious acid with D20. For the environment circled in blue, I don't know whether that willl be a HC-O environment or a H-C-C=O environment...

Thanks
    Is malicious acid intentionally harmful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Sorry I meant malic acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    lmao

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.