Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only the liberal left stand up to Islamophobia Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Because basic intuition and common sense says so.
    That's not even an answer. ****ing hell...

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the era of political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    That's not even an answer. ****ing hell...
    hows the open uni?

ReputationRep:
    hows the open uni?
    Ad-hominem attacks are a sign of the attacker's inadequacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם)
    Ad-hominem attacks are a sign of the attacker's inadequacy.
    That's funny because you never presented an argument here, you're just attacking others. Weak.

ReputationRep:
    Hate for Islam only exists because 1.6bn follow it. And when 1.6bn people follow a doctrine you hate, you'll start to hate them for condoning and advocating something that you hate. You start to fear and generalise muslims and discriminate them and there is plenty of evidence for this. We do assume a level of irrationality here. Because if we were all rational them Americans would be more fearful of toddlers than muslims when that clearly isnt the case.
    What if non-violent nazism existed today with 1.6 b followers? Are you exempt from hating it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    What if non-violent nazism existed today with 1.6 b followers? Are you exempt from hating it?
    You can't compare nazism to Islam.

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare nazism to Islam.
    People believe for example that some teachings of Islam is sexist towards women.

Nazis are fascists.

Are these reasons not good enough to hate an ideology?

ReputationRep:
    People believe for example that some teachings of Islam is sexist towards women.

Nazis are fascists.

Are these reasons not good enough to hate an ideology?
    Again, the comparison is completely invalid. This kind of bait is what the right rely on to make a decent point.

ReputationRep:
    Again, the comparison is completely invalid. This kind of bait is what the right rely on to make a decent point.
    Fine let's say a new ideology came about which gradually gained a billion followers and was in fact filled with sexist principles.

Would it wrong to hate it?

ReputationRep:
    Fine let's say a new ideology came about which gradually gained a billion followers and was in fact filled with sexist principles.

Would it wrong to hate it?
    It depends.

Hate for Islam only exists because 1.6bn follow it. And when 1.6bn people follow a doctrine you hate, you'll start to hate them for condoning and advocating something that you hate.
      For many Muslims it's merely an identity with some of the rules common to all conservative societies (no premarital sex, restrictions on dress, etc.) thrown in. As such, it's not true to say that 1.6 billion people are actually following Islam to the letter.

It's a similar to what we see with cultural Christians in the UK - people for whom religion is of little or no daily importance but who nonetheless tick the Christian box in the census because, when they sit down and really think about it in light of the official nature of the question, they decide they still identify with Christianity.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      For many Muslims it's merely an identity with some of the rules common to all conservative societies (no premarital sex, restrictions on dress, etc.) thrown in. As such, it's not true to say that 1.6 billion people are actually following Islam to the letter.

It's a similar to what we see with cultural Christians in the UK - people for whom religion is of little or no daily importance but who nonetheless tick the Christian box in the census because, when they sit down and really think about it in light of the official nature of the question, they decide they still identify with Christianity.
      Couldn't agree more. Soon everyday muslims will also say that the quran is flawed and isnt timeless. It's inevitable I think.

ReputationRep:
      Not really, ideologies are often criticised and commented on without comment on those who believe in them. I see it the same way as politics and parliament. When someone criticises a conservative policy, they're not insulting everyone who agrees with that policy, they are simply questioning the legitimacy and the ideal of that policy and the ideological foundations behind it. There's this stigma in modern day society that religions should be exempt from this criticism at an ideological level, simply because it is classed as their belief. I agree that there is a lot of hatred towards Muslims in today's society, but we need to remove this idea that the simplest criticism of a relgion, such as Islam, at an ideological level, is wrong. I feel that there is a huge step from hating what an ideology preaches, and hating the people who follow it.

ReputationRep:
      1. You aren't liberal. That would require you to acknowledge individuality. You know nothing of individuality. You've never had a unique thought throughout your entire existence.

2. You are anti-liberal and progressive - identity is nothing more than a proxy for class warfare to you. Your rhetoric emanates from second-wave feminism, or notably the notion that 'anyone who isn't a white man is my ally.' It's absolutely absurd.

3. You are a eugenicist who imposes eugenics ('diversity') on white men. You are no better than the progressives of the 1920s who applied similar policies against non-white people.

4. Islam is fascism.

ReputationRep:
      "Only the Liberal Left stand up for Islamopaedophilia."

*Fixed that for you.😊👍

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
      As someone against all kinds of hatred: anti-semitism, Islamophobia, racism, etc. I am stunned by how it is only those on the liberal left who stand up to blatant Islamophobia.

It feels that only those on the liberal left will tackle Islamophobia and take Muslims under their wing. Instead, those on the conservative right appear to spread Islamophobia and seem to want some sort of war between Islam and the West.

While I am not a Muslim or a subscriber of all of what Islam says, or even liberal left in some aspects, I think it's admirable that the liberal left are the only people standing up to Islamophobia and fascist bans based on religion.
      The OED defines Islamophobia to include "Dislike of Islam, particularly as a political ideology".

As a Left-wing Green Humanist, I therefore happily admit to being an Islamophobe, under the OED definition above.
      I therefore consider your opposition to my sincerely held and justifiable belief to be exactly the kind of intolerance that you are opposed to.

Will you join me in denouncing and opposing your own intolerance?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.