Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I've gotten myself confused again! (This happens a lot)
    Say in a circuit, the wire splits in to two different paths, would the voltage and current both half.
    I think I remember that one of them will half but the other won't
    Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Current will split, so to speak, and recombine at the end of the loops, whereas p.d. should be the same for each loop in a circuit.

Kirchoffs Second Law applies around loops, so if you had two loops or two resistors in parallel against a cell with negligible resistance and EMF of 5V, each resistor has the p.d. of 5V. If the resistors had a resistance of 1 ohm each, the total resistance of the circuit would be (1/1 + 1/1)^-1 = 1/2; 5/1/2 = 10 amps of current, which would split equally down the two loops.

Either way, current splits, and use Kirchoffs Second for loops. I hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callicious)
    Current will split, so to speak, and recombine at the end of the loops, whereas p.d. should be the same for each loop in a circuit.

Kirchoffs Second Law applies around loops, so if you had two loops or two resistors in parallel against a cell with negligible resistance and EMF of 5V, each resistor has the p.d. of 5V. If the resistors had a resistance of 1 ohm each, the total resistance of the circuit would be (1/1 + 1/1)^-1 = 1/2; 5/1/2 = 10 amps of current, which would split equally down the two loops.

Either way, current splits, and use Kirchoffs Second for loops. I hope I helped!
    Thanks man!
    +rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.