lavenderlife
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am currently studying the new 9-1 edexcel english lang and lit exam . Any useful revision channels,resources or tips to get 8/9 ?
davidpoku
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mr salles english teaching, he's pretty good.
RiyaP06
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would suggest finding ideas and points for whatever poems or books that are completely different to what an examiner would expect. So make sure you do your research. For example; I'm studying Lord of the Flies so I've researched so many different points that aren't common like Sigmund Freud interpretations. In other words, attempt including ALevel style points. That way you can secure your grade at 8/9 along with the form structure language and context points combined. Sounds complicated I know but it really works. (I'm predicted grade 9).
Emmy_Girl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am doing AQA, but I am guessing they are probably quite similar. For language, there isn't really any content to revise, just practice and learning the techniques. It would also help to read a variety of different texts whenever you can.
For literature, there is a lot of content to revise. I am doing Macbeth, Great Expectations, and An Inspector Calls and from reading them in class and watching the movies, I do know the basic plot. To revise, you do not necessarily need to read them again, but just make sure you summarise the key points/events, the plot, and character summaries including quotes. Also, practice writing essays, but focus on soemthing different and challenging each time. You could also make up your own essay questions and answer them before asking your teacher to mark them and give you feedback.

EDIT: For poetry, you don't need to memorise each poem by heart. Just make sure you are aware of the context behind it, and each of the different themes with quotes. Pick out the quotes that stand out to you and analyse them. Make sure you can summarise each poem and are also aware of the form and structure.
lavenderlife
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)