Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 616856Could domeone help me with this question and show me what to do step by step?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mf1999)
    Could domeone help me with this question and show me what to do step by step?
    9 a) drop a vertical line at the intersection point. Work out the area of the triangle and add on the area under the curve to the left.

b) Drop 2 vertical lines at the intersection points and work out the area of the rectangle, then add on the areas of the left and right under the curve.

Also another way to do these questions is to substitute y into the curves and make it equal 0. Integrate the remaining expression between the area bounds. Though this is only safe to do if there is no negative area -- which there isn't on these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    9 a) drop a vertical line at the intersection point. Work out the area of the triangle and add on the area under the curve to the left.

b) Drop 2 vertical lines at the intersection points and work out the area of the rectangle, then add on the areas of the left and right under the curve.

Also another way to do these questions is to substitute y into the curves and make it equal 0. Integrate the remaining expression between the area bounds. Though this is only safe to do if there is no negative area -- which there isn't on these.
    I tried to do the 2nd method however I ended up with x^3+x-2 and I didn't kno where to go from there
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I tried to do the 2nd method however I ended up with x^3+x-2 and I didn't kno where to go from there
    Integrate between x=0 and x=a where a is where the line crosses the x-axis.

ReputationRep:
    Integrate between x=0 and x=a where a is where the line crosses the x-axis.
    I dont really understand what you mean
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I dont really understand what you mean
    The line crosses at x=2 so that will be your other bound. The reason why it's between x=0 and x=2 is because that's where the area you want to find is when you consider the x-axis.

So you have \displaystyle \int_0^2 x^3+x-2 .dx and this will give the area.

EDIT: Scratch that, I overlooked something. Anyway, always stick with the first method. Find the point of intersection between the line and curve. Drop a vertical line from the point of intersection the x-axis, this should split your area into a right-angled triangle an and area exclusively under the cubic. You can find the area exclusively under the cubic using integration of x^3, and you know how to find the area of a right-angled triangle, then just add them together.

ReputationRep:
    The line crosses at x=2 so that will be your other bound. The reason why it's between x=0 and x=2 is because that's where the area you want to find is when you consider the x-axis.

So you have \displaystyle \int_0^2 x^3+x-2 .dx and this will give the area.

EDIT: Scratch that, I overlooked something. Anyway, stick with the first method. Find the point of intersection between the line and curve. Drop a vertical line from the point of intersection the x-axis, this should split your area into a right-angled triangle and area exclusively under the cubic. You can find the area exclusively under the cubic using integration of x^3, and you know how to find the area of a right-angled triangle, then just add them together.
    Oh okay thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.