Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm in my final year of Sixth Form and will be off to university later on this year however at 18 years old I still need help and advice on making friends.
    I feel like I've never had real proper friends. I don't trail my school corridors moping about and I get invited to parties etc but at the end of the day in 5 years I think I won't be in contact with anyone from my high school/sixth form.

However I realise that I'm going to univeristy which is a place I can completely remake myself and be whoever I want to be - within reason 😂
    But I'm not sure if the reason I feel like this is because of how I act or just the people I'm with in general.
    I'm that friend that everyone teases and makes fun of and I guess I'm in this position because I've never spoken up but in reality I hate it.
    My friends never pop up to me first and it's always me popping up to them and even when I do sometimes I get ignored or they only pop up if they want something off of me.
    It's just sad that after 7 years I have very few people to call friends that I know would be there for me if I got into something.

So any good tips on how to make friends at uni and not be the friend that gets roasted all the time?

I was in the same position. Trust me that it isn't you but the friends you have. My "best friend" of 5 years was like that as well as some other people who a few months ago I thought I would be friends with for "life" but recently I have found out who my real friends are. Maybe try to be a bit more confident, speak up for yourself, find friends who have the same values and views as you. And in my experience people who treat friends like that are usually superficial and are trying to put you down as they are jealous. Hope this helps 😊

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I was in the same position. Trust me that it isn't you but the friends you have. My "best friend" of 5 years was like that as well as some other people who a few months ago I thought I would be friends with for "life" but recently I have found out who my real friends are. Maybe try to be a bit more confident, speak up for yourself, find friends who have the same values and views as you. And in my experience people who treat friends like that are usually superficial and are trying to put you down as they are jealous. Hope this helps 😊
    Thanks for the advice ❤️
    Yeah I definitely feel people walk over me and I allow them to violate me but can't allow for that to happen at a place I'm paying £9k for, God forbid 😂

It's just annoying that my last year in school is the worst in terms of social life. My phone is so dead, which is why I come on TSR tbh
    I stood up for myself today and none of them have even messaged me to apologise but I guess that's the way life goes 😞

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of Sixth Form and will be off to university later on this year however at 18 years old I still need help and advice on making friends.
    I feel like I've never had real proper friends. I don't trail my school corridors moping about and I get invited to parties etc but at the end of the day in 5 years I think I won't be in contact with anyone from my high school/sixth form.

However I realise that I'm going to univeristy which is a place I can completely remake myself and be whoever I want to be - within reason 😂
    But I'm not sure if the reason I feel like this is because of how I act or just the people I'm with in general.
    I'm that friend that everyone teases and makes fun of and I guess I'm in this position because I've never spoken up but in reality I hate it.
    My friends never pop up to me first and it's always me popping up to them and even when I do sometimes I get ignored or they only pop up if they want something off of me.
    It's just sad that after 7 years I have very few people to call friends that I know would be there for me if I got into something.

So any good tips on how to make friends at uni and not be the friend that gets roasted all the time?
    obviously friends are going to take the micky out of you, but if it keeps going on you need to send back some fire. Otherwise you'll be the butt of every joke.

making friends is weird, I normally just say hi introduce myself then talk about common interests (usually hot girls walking past or anything) or My over confident drunk self handles it

I'm have only ever had one friend but she lives a to far for me to do things with her. I try to make new friends and it never works but it's because I don't know where to find them. I'm home schooled as I really struggled with bullying and stuff so I know the feeling. I can't go to uni yet but I will in a couple of years. My sis went and she made loads of new friends just by the halls she was in and nights out. Try to just make conversation with people around. R u staying in halls? Xx

I'm have only ever had one friend but she lives a to far for me to do things with her. I try to make new friends and it never works but it's because I don't know where to find them. I'm home schooled as I really struggled with bullying and stuff so I know the feeling. I can't go to uni yet but I will in a couple of years. My sis went and she made loads of new friends just by the halls she was in and nights out. Try to just make conversation with people around. R u staying in halls? Xx
    When I go I definitely will be because I think if you stay at home you may miss out on so many opportunities especially in 1st year.
    You should try doing something like NCS it's a great way to make friends 😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.