Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I miss 2007 and 2008 pre-crash.

I was 18/19 earning 25k a year and living at home with no responsibilities, so had an almost never ending supply of booze and weed.

And before then it used to almost be a conspiracy theory that the Tories would ever get back into power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I miss 2007 and 2008 pre-crash.

I was 18/19 earning 25k a year and living at home with no responsibilities, so had an almost never ending supply of booze and weed.

And before then it used to almost be a conspiracy theory that the Tories would ever get back into power.
    Haha, I think for me I didn't feel effects of the crash until well after but that's probably becuase I was a kid and seem to hate this decade a lot more. I remember my dad having difficulties with a lot of his business but he only ever showed me the good side of it all, it wasn't untill like 2010/11 that the good side had completely faded. I'd love to read something where young people talk about how the crisis affected them.

Haha that's true, Can't believe people sold labour out for the joke that is David Cameron… did he deliver on any promises that would actually benefit the country? Not that I can think of. 2007 was a great year. It sucks knowing we'll never have a similar period when things were advanced but in good balance of not occupying our lives.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    It was 2008-2009 and then again from 2011-2012
    Technically we never actually recorded two consecutive quarters of negative growth albeit we did have negative quarters. It was more of a stall with annual growth being 1.1% in 2011 and 0% in 2012 (although private sector employment actually started to rise in 2012).

(Original post by fleky6910)
    We did have the fastest recovery in the G8!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The initial recovery was actually slow due to a combination of policy and the Euro-zone crisis, significantly slower than the US and Germany for example. It was not until Osbourne changed tack and growth accelerated in late 2012/early 2013 that we started to outpace the rest.

(Original post by RedManc)
    I remember the double dip recession. In January 2010 we had a growth of 0.1% if only we voted in Labour again our economy would have grown quicker.
    Q1 2010 actually saw GDP growth of 0.6% (possibly revised from what you are remembering).

This is a highly doubtful assertion given that of the three factors which drained growth, only one them (the VAT hike) would not have occurred. Labour would still have halved capital spending, would still have seen the Euro-zone in chaos and would still have engaged in austerity.

I'll be kind and say that in 2011 and 2012 the economy may have grown an extra 0.5% in both years (by 2013 Osbourne had changed tack so the difference would be minute from then on).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Objectively i have many reasons to be happier now but 2008 does still rank as the best year of my life in terms of how i look back. I was young, drunk, employed part time and meeting tonnes of women on top of having a great group of friends. It was incredibly fun.

These days i naturally disagree with you on some stuff (a sniff of political bias in your OP) but the films are now all sequels, my social life is splintered (lots of friends but no close core), my sex life is more subdued and i have much less free time and a much more repetitive life.

On the flip side i think that TV is no worse, i have more money, my belief in myself is pretty resolute and i enjoy the innovations being created, i am also much more mature as a person, much more self aware and have come to value values.

Perhaps the grass is always greener on the other side.
    I think the general lifestyle just seemed better back then, I'm not a huge fan of the social media takeover which consumes almost everyone's everyday lives. There is political bias but not views, I've simply stated how the change of politics has affected me…. I would be impartial but I really can't in the topic I mentioned (education)… the cuts aren't good, the reforms are terrible and hit even harder with the lack of funding…

Also your self-development does sound really good, for me this decade started of terrible with self-development. It wasn't until last year I started feeling good about myself and a lot of that happened after I connected with a time that felt better to me (pre 2011). As for TV, shows like Xfactor, BGT, Doctor Who are still on but the quality has seriously gone down. And when I mentioned TV I meant it more in the sense of what people grew up watching compared to today, so for me that'd include channels like Disney, Nick, CBBC, CBeebies, CN, boomerang, etc. The programs on those channels today are just awful. Also I watch a lot of older programs today like The Office, Boston Legal, Friends, etc. I'm not saying all TV is bad, I enjoy a lot like Hawaii Five 0, The Blacklist, Modern family but as a whole it just doesn't seem as good as it used to be…

It wasn't the best time of my life too, my parents got divorced, my mum remarried, my mum went bankrupt, my dad lost a lot of business but things felt better. It's like today even though all those problems have been solved or I've accepted them, it still feels like something is missing and will always be missing so that's my personal touch to it which of course will be different to everyone else. Sorry for the messy answer, I'm in a car so its a little hard to type

ReputationRep:
    Me too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.