Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello so i need braces but i am over the age of 16 which means i wouldn't be able to get free treatment however though i have been told that if i can provide evidence that i am unable to pay for them, i would be able to get the treatment done for free is this true?

Anyone?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello so i need braces but i am over the age of 16 which means i wouldn't be able to get free treatment however though i have been told that if i can provide evidence that i am unable to pay for them, i would be able to get the treatment done for free is this true?
    Have you spoken to your dentist and orthodontist about this? It really depends on the clinical need you have for them and what will happen if you don't, there's very specific guidelines etc especially for over 18s but some are more lenient than others. If you choose to go privately some places might do it based on income or pay for it in smaller bits too, I don't know about proving that you're unable to pay for them but if you've been told by someone reliable, it's worth a try or at least to check. Have a look on the NHS website but yeah, sorry to not be of more help!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah, it's a stupid system - the dentist literally had to pull two of my milk teeth out so I would be able to start treatment before I turned 16

From what I understand, it's MUCH harder to get it for free after the age of 16, although your orthodontist should be able to advise on this.

Spoiler:
    Show

Sneaky tip: if you've got "toothache" it's a bit easier to get it on the NHS, at least this works if you're under 16, not sure about if you're older...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.