Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OK so I am currently a GCSE student who is to make his A level choices. I'm really interested in going into scientific research in biological areas, particularly microbiology as a career as I find it fascinating. For my A level I have decided on Economics, Biology.....though the last one I am having trouble with. I am told that most courses for microbiology require Chemistry A level. I have not really found GCSE Chem that hard, but the later topics, the ones that only really appear in A level out of the GCSE ones, I do find really really hard. Add that with the calculations.

I do not want to continue Chem and would much rather do a more relaxing subject like Literature or History. However like I said to study microbiology I would really need Chem a level. My question is, should I do it just in case and is it really worth it, and if not, then what should my final subject be in order to aid me in applying for microbiology at university and degree level?

My advice would be to talk to your chemistry teacher at school and ask if you would struggle at a level. The thing is if you don't do it at alevel you won't be able to do your course at uni however most people I know changed their mind on what they wanted to do at uni whilst they were studying alevels. I know someone who went from medicine to accounting. At alevel do subjects you enjoy because then you will have the motivation to study them at alevel (you will need it!) and then decide what you want to do next. Hope this helps 😊

Since I've done chemistry and been through all this I can tell you cold truth.

Almost everything you've learnt in GCSE chemistry is a lie, you'll be taught from scratch the 'truth' starting with electronic configuration.
    So if your ready to rewind your brain and study like an asian for 2 years, go for it.

I would recommend Maths, this subject can be used to apply to practically any course you want and is highly respected among top universities.
    Choosing Maths, Biology and Economics is an excellent choice since you can even change your mind later, and choose the path of business at top universities.

Try look at the entry requirements of some courses you think you'll apply to in the future, you'll see how important Maths.
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.