Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I started a degree course in 2009 but left 6 weeks into it due to illness. I did receive some maintenance loan and grant but didn't receive any tuition fee loan as I left the course before the tuition fee loan was due to be paid.

In 2016 I started a HND course but I want to leave after year 1 (with a HNC) and pursue a degree in an unrelated subject.

I know that you are entitled to one 'false start' and it is my understanding that my first attempt at a degree in 2009 doesn't count because of my leaving being due to illness, but I'm really worried that this won't turn out to be true. I don't want to have used up all my funding as I am finally feeling well and ready to pursue a full degree.

Could you tell me whether, based on this information, I would be able to get funding for a full 3-year degree course?

Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippidee)
    Hello

I started a degree course in 2009 but left 6 weeks into it due to illness. I did receive some maintenance loan and grant but didn't receive any tuition fee loan as I left the course before the tuition fee loan was due to be paid.

In 2016 I started a HND course but I want to leave after year 1 (with a HNC) and pursue a degree in an unrelated subject.

I know that you are entitled to one 'false start' and it is my understanding that my first attempt at a degree in 2009 doesn't count because of my leaving being due to illness, but I'm really worried that this won't turn out to be true. I don't want to have used up all my funding as I am finally feeling well and ready to pursue a full degree.

Could you tell me whether, based on this information, I would be able to get funding for a full 3-year degree course?

Thank you
    Your 2009 attempt will count, but if you had Compelling Personal Reasons that made you drop out you can apply for it to be discounted. If your CPR application is successful then you will be allowed that year of funding back. You do have to apply and give evidence, though - it's not just automatic because you were ill.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.