Turn on thread page Beta

Company Law - Maintenance of Share capital watch

    • Thread Starter

    HI there, I have an assignment to do and the question is:

    Question: “A limited company not in liquidation can make no payment by way of return of capital to its shareholders except as a step in an authorised reduction of capital. Any other payment made by it by means of which it parts with moneys to its shareholders must and can only be made by way of dividing profits. Whether the payment is called ‘dividend’ or ‘bonus’, or any other name, it still must remain a payment on division of profits.” Per Lord Russel of Killowen in Hill v Permanent Trustee Co of New South Wales Ltd [1930] AC 720 at 731. Discuss

    Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about answering this as an essay?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Please read the sticky for this forum then someone might come to your help - we won't do your homework for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2017
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.