The Student Room Group

can I get into a good uni with my grades?

I've been around tsr threads, (ghosting, just signed up now) and noticed that people worried about going to unis like the Russell Group because of their GCSE grades. My grades have always been a half-up half-down for me, I feel I did well, but at the school I currently attend 4 A'S, 4 C's and 2 B's is definitely not something to be proud of. so yeah, I felt a bit deflated, and generally avoid discussing my grades with the A star students.

I currently study English Lang & Lit, French, Psychology and Philosophy. My A's at GCSE came in English Lit, English Lang, French and Health & Social Care. so not the greatest.

I know it's subjective, but at the grammar school I now go to, the kids are crazy smart. I got in with the minimum and I'd be lying if it didn't hurt a bit. I guess I thought I was kind of competent, :/

^^I hope to go into Film Production, and I know my subjects are a bit off/random - I just chose what I was best at and enjoyed.

-any advice would be much appreciated :smile: At the moment, Edinburgh seems like my ideal choice, granted more research is needed - it appears from what I've seen that I'm unlikely to get in. : (
Reply 1
I made a post yesterday titled "A bumpy ride to University" on this same forum and I'd say to check it out, it covers these concerns; Summary of it is that you can always make it to university, your GCSEs are far higher than mine and I've dropped out of both sixth form and college but I'm going to the University of Manchester in September. Universities look for far more than just grades. You can have perfect grades and still get rejected if they think your a plank, show some grit and determination in your application along with a bit of character and your chances of being accepted won't be affected by the results of some exams you did 2 or more years before applying to the place.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending