The Student Room Group

Intermediate Maths Challenge 2017 Silver Boundary

What does everyone predict the boundary for Silver on the IMC will be this year? I got 59, do you think this will be enough?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else who took part :smile:
I would predict 55 would be Silver.
Reply 2
I don't think the silver boundary would be above 60
Reply 3
Original post by Dizgurl
I don't think the silver boundary would be above 60

Thanks :smile: In 2007 the boundary for silver was 62 (I think), but in my opinion the 2017 paper was harder than the 2007 paper. I'm nervous as a few people on TSR say they thought Thursday's paper was the easiest in a long time.
Reply 4
Original post by BobBobson
I would predict 55 would be Silver.

Hopefully. It was 50 marks last year.
Thanks for replying. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks :smile: In 2007 the boundary for silver was 62 (I think), but in my opinion the 2017 paper was harder than the 2007 paper. I'm nervous as a few people on TSR say they thought Thursday's paper was the easiest in a long time.

It wasn't super hard, but if you struggle with angles and geometry, this isn't the paper for you lol. TSR has veerrrryy high standards, so you're probably discussing with people who'll go into olympiads, so they're bound to find it easy. Keep your hopes up! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Dizgurl
It wasn't super hard, but if you struggle with angles and geometry, this isn't the paper for you lol. TSR has veerrrryy high standards, so you're probably discussing with people who'll go into olympiads, so they're bound to find it easy. Keep your hopes up! :smile:

It's probably best I don't discuss the paper or boundaries on TSR lol. I am good at GCSE maths, but I'm useless at problem solving style questions like the IMC. Although I got a low score last year (my first try), I found it easier as there was lots of algebra rather than geometry - the opposite of this year. I got a few of the geometry problems wrong, and then realised I had made silly mistakes after the test. Still, if I get silver or bronze I'm happy with it. I guess the boundaries are lowered / balanced out by people like me who aren't as good at the geometry questions - but they don't mention it on TSR.
Thanks for giving me a better idea of the difficulty level of the paper and how people found it.
Reply 7
Original post by Loci Pi
It's probably best I don't discuss the paper or boundaries on TSR lol. I am good at GCSE maths, but I'm useless at problem solving style questions like the IMC. Although I got a low score last year (my first try), I found it easier as there was lots of algebra rather than geometry - the opposite of this year. I got a few of the geometry problems wrong, and then realised I had made silly mistakes after the test. Still, if I get silver or bronze I'm happy with it. I guess the boundaries are lowered / balanced out by people like me who aren't as good at the geometry questions - but they don't mention it on TSR.
Thanks for giving me a better idea of the difficulty level of the paper and how people found it.

Grade boundaries will be set upon how everyone did as a whole and not just TSR. :smile: See I'm better at geometry and so much worse on algebra so I believe I did worse last year than I have this year ( I think) unless I've made some drastic mistake.
You should definately be happy with a bronze or a silver, because ideally, IMC is meant for year 11's, so you doing it in year 10 and getting a certificate is amazing, especially taking into account the number of year 11's who wouldn't get anything.
And you're most welcome :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Dizgurl
Grade boundaries will be set upon how everyone did as a whole and not just TSR. :smile: See I'm better at geometry and so much worse on algebra so I believe I did worse last year than I have this year ( I think) unless I've made some drastic mistake.
You should definately be happy with a bronze or a silver, because ideally, IMC is meant for year 11's, so you doing it in year 10 and getting a certificate is amazing, especially taking into account the number of year 11's who wouldn't get anything.
And you're most welcome :smile:

Congratulations on doing well this year. Good luck if you do the Kangaroo or Olympiad paper :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi
Congratulations on doing well this year. Good luck if you do the Kangaroo or Olympiad paper :smile:

Awh haha thanks, i hope I did okay. But as they say, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Congrats to you too :smile:
Wow the boundaries are high this year! 112 for the year 11 Olympiad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending