Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied or is going to apply for this apprenticeship at GS tech and degree at QMUL?
    http://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/...prentices.html
    Personally although I have an offer from Warwick for CS and Management, this sounds pretty interesting with tech roles on offer in IBD, but I have a few questions before I apply that I hope some of you could clarify.
    1) What will I need to start the application? I'm guessing I will need a cv, cover letter and a reference.
    2) What is the application process for an apprenticeship at GS? Does it involve tests in Maths, English and SJT or is it just interviews?
    3) If the application process is mainly interviews, are the type of questions for tech mainly technical e.g. data structures or is it just about the fit?
    4) If I was to convert the apprenticeship would I follow that same path as normal grads, Analyst > Associate > VP etc

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatapanydude)
    Has anyone applied or is going to apply for this apprenticeship at GS tech and degree at QMUL?
    Personally although I have an offer from Warwick for CS and Management, this sounds pretty interesting with tech roles on offer in IBD, but I have a few questions before I apply that I hope some of you could clarify.
    1) What will I need to start the application? I'm guessing I will need a cv, cover letter and a reference.
    2) What is the application process for an apprenticeship at GS? Does it involve tests in Maths, English and SJT or is it just interviews?
    3) If the application process is mainly interviews, are the type of questions for tech mainly technical e.g. data structures or is it just about the fit?
    4) If I was to convert the apprenticeship would I follow that same path as normal grads, Analyst > Associate > VP etc

Thanks in advance
    Why do you think this role will let you become some sort of Investment Banker? The role isn't in their Investment Banking Division, it's in their Technology division. Sure, you'll be working with them (amongst other people) but you're not one of them. This role seems to be very much based around computing, coding etc - i.e. some sort of software engineer/programmer not actually being an Investment Banker.

I may have misinterpreted what you were trying to say though, so I agree if you're just saying it's a degree with which you can compete against the many other IB applicants, albeit with a slight advantage (as you've already been working at GS). Nonetheless, you'll still have to do extremely well to get where you want to be.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corporate Lawyer)
    Why do you think this role will let you become some sort of Investment Banker? The role isn't in their Investment Banking Division, it's in their Technology division. Sure, you'll be working with them (amongst other people) but you're not one of them. This role seems to be very much based around computing, coding etc - i.e. some sort of software engineer/programmer not actually being an Investment Banker.

I may have misinterpreted what you were trying to say though, so I agree if you're just saying it's a degree with which you can compete against the many other IB applicants, albeit with a slight advantage (as you've already been working at GS). Nonetheless, you'll still have to do extremely well to get where you want to be.
    pretty sure OP meant tech teams supporting IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    pretty sure OP meant tech teams supporting IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm just not sure what exactly he means by "converting the apprenticeship". This seems to be what he wants to do - i.e. follow the "traditional" IB path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corporate Lawyer)
    Yeah, I'm just not sure what exactly he means by "converting the apprenticeship". This seems to be what he wants to do - i.e. follow the "traditional" IB path.
    Princepieman is right, it basically a tech role supporting the IBD. What I meant when saying "converting the apprenticeship" is that after the 4 years once you have finished the degree, GS will decide whether to take you on or not full time. My question is if I was to be offered the job full time, would I follow that same path as normal grads, Analyst > Associate > VP etc, receiving the same pay as well even though I have done a degree apprenticeship.

Furthermore if you, Princepieman or anyone else could help me out with the questions asked earlier, that would be great!

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    hi, I'm a little interested in this programme but it doesn't really explain the application process? Or even tell u how much u get? Is it too late to apply or do they wait for everyone to apply then sort them out after the deadline? Thanks😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom117117)
    hi, I'm a little interested in this programme but it doesn't really explain the application process? Or even tell u how much u get? Is it too late to apply or do they wait for everyone to apply then sort them out after the deadline? Thanks😄
    Hi mate, I have searched everywhere but can't find anything about the application process, hence resorting to tsr. I believe pay is around £18,000 a year which isn't bad. Not sure if GS will wait for everyone, but just from reading the spring week thread, it looks like they do wait for all applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate, I have searched everywhere but can't find anything about the application process, hence resorting to tsr. I believe pay is around £18,000 a year which isn't bad. Not sure if GS will wait for everyone, but just from reading the spring week thread, it looks like they do wait for all applications.
    thanks😄

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview?????? Please let me know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.