Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I would like to ask what a levels would be great that would help me get in at least one of the universities in this group. Im planning on doing Accounting and Finance. Right now, im waiting for my GCSE exams and im in the process of doing my application form for my sixth form. I've heard that Maths and Economics would be helpful for the course that I want for uni. However, I've also heard that there are certain subjects that these groups of unis looks for to get a better chance of getting in. I think some of them are politics or psychology? I would like to know if there's a certain a level that will help me get in. Maybe some recommendations of good A level subjs as well?

ReputationRep:
    I did some research for you. Here's what I found. The top Universities in the Russell Group (England) for accounting and finance are:
    Leeds, Warwick, LSE and Bristol. I used the rankings for this, and these were the unis I decided to focus on, as they are THE best.
    AAA are the entry requirements at all 4 Universities.
    Leeds and LSE have no specific entry requirements (however encourage maths)
    Bristol and Warwick both require maths.
    Warwick requires further maths.
    And both LSE and Warwick say that a humanities subject (or social science) is preferred.
    So, from my research. Maths is clearly the most important a level to take, with the option of taking further maths if you want to go to Warwick (I would suggest this if you're a strong mathematician as it will open up more options, say if you wanted to study economics + if you're brilliant at maths it might be a smart choice to take both).
    Considering there is a preference for humanities subjects, and this would broaden your application (and open more doors if you changed your mind and wanted to apply for, say Law or PPE) I would certainly take one of those.
    I think Philosophy, History, English Lit or Politics would be your best choice, with a preference for History or English because they're more highly regarded and if you wanted to do a humanities subject at Uni, they are the frameworks for those. Economics could also be a good choice, but does narrow your application a little bit. However, if you're not as confident or interested in the humanities, economics would be an amazing choice.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to both Edinburgh and Liverpool and got an offer from both for accounting and finance and i didnt do maths or economics, i would just say do any subject unless the universities you want to apply to specifically state a required subject on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the top universities like you doing Maths and like you to have at least 1 A*, I know for the Warwick university economics course this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    I did some research for you. Here's what I found. The top Universities in the Russell Group (England) for accounting and finance are:
    Leeds, Warwick, LSE and Bristol. I used the rankings for this, and these were the unis I decided to focus on, as they are THE best.
    AAA are the entry requirements at all 4 Universities.
    Leeds and LSE have no specific entry requirements (however encourage maths)
    Bristol and Warwick both require maths.
    Warwick requires further maths.
    And both LSE and Warwick say that a humanities subject (or social science) is preferred.
    So, from my research. Maths is clearly the most important a level to take, with the option of taking further maths if you want to go to Warwick (I would suggest this if you're a strong mathematician as it will open up more options, say if you wanted to study economics + if you're brilliant at maths it might be a smart choice to take both).
    Considering there is a preference for humanities subjects, and this would broaden your application (and open more doors if you changed your mind and wanted to apply for, say Law or PPE) I would certainly take one of those.
    I think Philosophy, History, English Lit or Politics would be your best choice, with a preference for History or English because they're more highly regarded and if you wanted to do a humanities subject at Uni, they are the frameworks for those. Economics could also be a good choice, but does narrow your application a little bit. However, if you're not as confident or interested in the humanities, economics would be an amazing choice.

Thank you, this has really helped me a lot about my options and which unis to focus on more. However, last week, I talked to my headmaster and ask for an advice. During the interview, he told me that it is not really smart for me to choose maths (or further maths) unless I want to do engineering and etc and that I need to really work hard if im going to take it. I mean it's one of the qualifications that I need for the course that I want so i guess I could ignore it. My other two options that he talked to me about was about Economics and Business Studies. He told me that I should only choose one as they overlap and does the same thing. It contradicts to what the students of boths subjects told me about tho. They said that (in Business) there's only a part of economics that it touches, and it doesnt just focus on that and it's different in way tho it looks at the same aspect. some had adviced me to take both if I want to and ignore the headmaster but some said that i should just choose one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissAnonymous03)
    Thank you, this has really helped me a lot about my options and which unis to focus on more. However, last week, I talked to my headmaster and ask for an advice. During the interview, he told me that it is not really smart for me to choose maths (or further maths) unless I want to do engineering and etc and that I need to really work hard if im going to take it. I mean it's one of the qualifications that I need for the course that I want so i guess I could ignore it. My other two options that he talked to me about was about Economics and Business Studies. He told me that I should only choose one as they overlap and does the same thing. It contradicts to what the students of boths subjects told me about tho. They said that (in Business) there's only a part of economics that it touches, and it doesnt just focus on that and it's different in way tho it looks at the same aspect. some had adviced me to take both if I want to and ignore the headmaster but some said that i should just choose one.
    If you don't do maths you are really limiting your options of getting into accounting and finance. Maths is not exclusively for engineering, its for mathematics, medicine, natural sciences, psychology, PPE, law, philosophy, economics, business. It helps with SO many career paths and is not exclusive to engineering. Finance and accounting is basically business and maths, you need to have competent mathematical skills and if you don't enjoy maths it would be strange to want to study accounting and finance at Uni. Don't choose what your teachers tell you to choose, choose what you want to choose. Maths is such an important thing to take, and without it, your options will be limited as a lot of people applying for the same course will have maths. I agree that further maths is a bit questionable if you're not a strong mathematician, and does lead you to engineering or physics, but warwick requires it so it is something to consider. Your headteacher is right. They do overlap, and while it may not be obvious (like you said, some people who take both don't think that way) it can affect university choices as some universities don't like them being taken together, plus, taking two subjects so similar seems pointless. Take economics if you're going for Russell Group as it is more highly regarded and also good for finance. If I were you, I would take a humanity instead of business studies. Take History, English Lit or Philosophy. That will really broaden your horizons and open up options for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.