The Student Room Group

How to stop losing USB sticks?

I know it sounds daft,but is there a way to stop losing USB sticks? xD
I think I have lost around 5 in my school life,and so would like to know everybody's tips in,well,not losing them.

This comes after recently losing a 32GB USB packed full of essential files from 3DS homebrew to My entire computer science coursework which an idiot like me will never remember to back up :P

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Buy a really expensive one, then you will look after it better
You should have backups plus whats suggested get one atached to your keyring. If you have a backup then it has very little impact.
Reply 4
Ok,thanks for the replies,now i'm gonna have to trust myself with another usb haha,hopefully these tips help me.
Stop using them if you can. Put your science coursework into some online cloud storage as mentioned earlier, for example if you use the new Office you can automatically save things into the OneDrive which is useful and then accessible anywhere.

USB sticks can get lost and damaged really easily, I've avoided them for years.
Nail it to your hand.
Reply 7
I always put it in my pencil case, and since then I haven't misplaced it.
Original post by KhoduSaab
I think I have lost around 5 in my school life,and so would like to know everybody's tips in,well,not losing them.

This comes after recently losing a 32GB USB packed full of essential files from 3DS homebrew to My entire computer science coursework which an idiot like me will never remember to back up :P

Any advice?

A backup

B if you have a android you can store random files on it using a USB cable

C get cloud storage. Google drive is a good option.
15GB is free
100GB is £20 a year

Also any google photo quality photos don't eat into your storage.
Also any documents made using google docs/sheets/slides don't eat into your storage
Get your ears pierced and wear them as earrings.

Any advice?

Wear it round your neck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Buy an external hdd, harder to lose due to size

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have to agree with everyone who has suggested Cloud Storage.

So, I say forget USB sticks and move onto Cloud Storage services like Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox and others mentioned.

However, if you really need to use USB sticks, when I used them, I had the same concern as you as they are so small in size which makes them easy to lose. I just simply attached them to my keys, which I always made sure I had with me, and this worked for me for years!

I would definitely think about using Cloud Storage though!
Reply 13
Well ive lasted longer than a month,which is a good sign on my terms.

I think I'll definitely consider cloud storage,i remember using it before i upgraded my internet,it was an outright pain!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Use Google drive and keep your usb on your keys, maybe you won't lose those

Any advice?

Put it in your purse/ wallet

Any advice?

Or you could just email the contents to your email address.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
emails and messaging services often have maximum file size limits set in place,though if i was moving a couple of word files i think that would work fine.
Reply 18
Original post by Rexar
Buy a really expensive one, then you will look after it better

That is so goddamn expensive
I lost a 64gb USB 3.0 SanDisk drive which costs 15 pounds. I'm so pissed.

Latest

Trending

Trending