Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop losing USB sticks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds daft,but is there a way to stop losing USB sticks? xD
    I think I have lost around 5 in my school life,and so would like to know everybody's tips in,well,not losing them.

This comes after recently losing a 32GB USB packed full of essential files from 3DS homebrew to My entire computer science coursework which an idiot like me will never remember to back up :P

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Attach them to keys
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Buy a really expensive one, then you will look after it better
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I recommend this
    https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/usb-stick...FbcK0wodNIQNKA
    • Very Important Poster

You should have backups plus whats suggested get one atached to your keyring. If you have a backup then it has very little impact.

ReputationRep:
    Ok,thanks for the replies,now i'm gonna have to trust myself with another usb haha,hopefully these tips help me.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you even using USB drives? Cloud storage is abundant and has the added bonus of being an automatic backup in some respects.

Putting USB drives on keys is a bad idea, if you lose USB drives easily what'll happen when you lose your keys?

Saying you won't remember to back up is also an issue. You need to deal with this, because at uni or in the work place being forgetful simply won't cut it. You need to prioritise these things, especially since it's happened so often.

ReputationRep:
    Stop using them if you can. Put your science coursework into some online cloud storage as mentioned earlier, for example if you use the new Office you can automatically save things into the OneDrive which is useful and then accessible anywhere.

USB sticks can get lost and damaged really easily, I've avoided them for years.

ReputationRep:
    Nail it to your hand.

ReputationRep:
    I always put it in my pencil case, and since then I haven't misplaced it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhoduSaab)
    I think I have lost around 5 in my school life,and so would like to know everybody's tips in,well,not losing them.

This comes after recently losing a 32GB USB packed full of essential files from 3DS homebrew to My entire computer science coursework which an idiot like me will never remember to back up :P

Any advice?
    A backup

B if you have a android you can store random files on it using a USB cable

C get cloud storage. Google drive is a good option.
    15GB is free
    100GB is £20 a year

Also any google photo quality photos don't eat into your storage.
    Also any documents made using google docs/sheets/slides don't eat into your storage

ReputationRep:
    Get your ears pierced and wear them as earrings.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?
    Wear it round your neck.

ReputationRep:
    Buy an external hdd, harder to lose due to size

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree with everyone who has suggested Cloud Storage.

So, I say forget USB sticks and move onto Cloud Storage services like Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox and others mentioned.

However, if you really need to use USB sticks, when I used them, I had the same concern as you as they are so small in size which makes them easy to lose. I just simply attached them to my keys, which I always made sure I had with me, and this worked for me for years!

I would definitely think about using Cloud Storage though!

ReputationRep:
    Well ive lasted longer than a month,which is a good sign on my terms.

I think I'll definitely consider cloud storage,i remember using it before i upgraded my internet,it was an outright pain!

ReputationRep:
    Use Google drive and keep your usb on your keys, maybe you won't lose those

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    Put it in your purse/ wallet

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    Or you could just email the contents to your email address.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    emails and messaging services often have maximum file size limits set in place,though if i was moving a couple of word files i think that would work fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.