Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FRENCH: "Foutent" = "****ing" ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Josb just told me that "Fouettent" can also mean "Stink" (in slang)

So we all learnt something new
    Didn't know that; thanks! As you say, we all learnt something new. Slang isn't my strong point in any language, even English ... I sometimes don't understand my own children!

As I'm a teacher, I was interested to see people's comments here about GCSE and A level content. As teachers we struggle with it, too, but we've got to get you lot through your exams, which sometimes actually gets in the way of teaching you French properly. Retired Messiah says he'd like the standard of GCSE language to be higher - I totally agree - but what content? Because if you limit it to ordering pizza and lettuce (does that count as "relevant stuff"?) you're simply not going to get the more sophisticated language.

It's an age-old problem, actually - before they introduced GCSEs the old O level was very much based on literary French - with translations and dictations; for the written paper students had to tell stories, basically, using various stimuli (for example, putting a picture story into words, using past tenses). But the criticism was that that didn't prepare you for booking a hotel room or ordering a sandwich, so they introduced GCSEs and made A levels topic-based, rather than literature-based. The idea was (and still is) that the topics are relevant and of interest to 16 - 18 year-olds. And now I'm hearing the same criticism again here, so it obviously has not been a success!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as they say.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's been said before, but here it is:

"Foutent" is slang (mostly).

"Fout le camp" = Get out.
    "Vas te faire foutre" = **** off.
    "Qu'est-ce-qu'il foutent" = What are they doing?

There might be other expressions.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this problem is solved

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.