Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    will switching from 1 stick of 4GB ram to 2 sticks in dual-channel mode make a noticable diffference in running multiple apps at the same time?

My laptop has been pretty sluggish recently whenever i load a bunch of tabs or windows,so i asked my tech-savvy friend,who recommended me I get another stick of ram,saying it'll be worth it.

Should i believe him?

ReputationRep:
    If you mean upgrade to 8GB in total with two 4gb ones then yes. If it's just replacing 4gb with 4gb then it might get better just because of wear but not significantly so

ReputationRep:
    I mean productivity wise,as in will It make a noticable difference with lots of windows/tabs open

ReputationRep:
    a pc is more better for multi-tasking and productivity( e.g. apple, too expensive tho) a media/multi-tasking pc might help you out. upgrade to 8gb(2x 4gb) quad channel

ReputationRep:
    Umm,im pretty sure it would be harder to move a pc from one place to another easily,compared to the mobility of the laptop,

But from what i'm gathering,it seems like a worthwile upgrade,now need to make sure i order the roght one xD

EDIT:I'm pretty sure a laptop will be able to multitask aswell :P

ReputationRep:
    Ram basically works kinda like saving to memory on a calculator. You can save the calculations and use them later which saves time. The more ram you have, the more random tasks and calculations you can have stored away for later use. So doubling the ram would make everything load faster. You should keep in mind that it might not be the ram slowing it down. The wear on the other components can make the computer slow down. You also need to make sure the upgrade is compatible with all your other components

ReputationRep:
    Its also worth noting whether your OS is 32bit or 64bit, if you're using windows 10 (i hope you are) then go to PC settings --> System --> About and look where it says system type, if your OS is 32bit, dont bother with more RAM as 32bit computers can only use up to 4GB or RAM anyway, also, if it says "x64-based processor" but "32 bit OS" then still only 4GB of RAM can be used by the system.

ReputationRep:
    I would never upgrade a laptop, there's just no point. You're better off in buying a new one alltogether, or getting a PC.
    • Very Important Poster

Yes its worth it for multitasking if you have a large nymber of apps open at the same time. Make sure its compatible. Same manufacturer if possible crucial have an online memory search to suggest what it is you need..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhoduSaab)
    will switching from 1 stick of 4GB ram to 2 sticks in dual-channel mode make a noticable diffference in running multiple apps at the same time?

My laptop has been pretty sluggish recently whenever i load a bunch of tabs or windows,so i asked my tech-savvy friend,who recommended me I get another stick of ram,saying it'll be worth it.

Should i believe him?
    My dad's friend tried upgrading our RAM 7 years ago and the computer, which was about 5 years old, broke down due to a hard drive fault. I couldn't tell whether there was just a coincidence or something had gone wrong in the upgrade.

Don't let that stop you from making your own decisions, however.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for the replies,I'm thinking of doing it,the benefits do seem to outweigh the risks!
    Let's just hope i don't manage to brake something haha

OK,i just ordered the other stick :P My friend opened the laptop up and showed me the exact same stick online

ReputationRep:
    Do it, apart from switching out the hard drive it makes the biggest different in day to day use! Mine has been running beautifully since I upgraded from 4 to 16GB

ReputationRep:
    8GB is more than enough for normal use. I'd only consider 16GB at gaming in higher with higher resolution (E.g. QUAD HD) or video editing, Photoshop etc...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.