Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Courses: Law vs Economics/Econometrics vs Philosophy vs English Lit at Uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Currently in first year of A-levels and I'm completely stuck; I have no idea what I want to do (well, I want to be a poet, but that's a pipe dream) and I keep finding that I'm only interested in certain bits of degrees.

You probably want my stats, so -
    GCSEs: 10 A*s, an A in Art and Design (damn) and an A in OCR FMSQ Additional Maths (technically an A^, technically-)

A-levels (predicted, just after mocks):
    Maths (A*)
    Further Maths (A*/A - should probably do more work)
    Physics (A* - my teacher says I'd be great at material science lol)
    Latin (A*)
    English lit (A*).

So, I guess my stats aren't bad, but the issue is that I'm not brilliant at maths (i.e SMT is like watching my dreams go down the gutter and I keep getting silver/bronze lol).

+++++
    General background to each option:

I'm concerned about doing Economics as I didn't take Economics A level and I think that'd make me unattractive as a candidate, plus the fact that I'd probably have to do an insane amount of extra reading. Our school's economics teacher is rubbish/non-existent/also the ICT teacher, so I don't think I'd have support from him (my FMaths teacher might be able to help, but he didn't do an economics degree). TBH I'm mostly worried that I'd be a horrible candidate and that what I'm interested in will be too nichey for interview (Abenomics, Milton Friedman, etc).

My parents suggested law, as I'm (imao, take it with a sack of salt) a pretty good writer, and extremely argumentative lol. Also, I speed-read pretty quickly - I've read nearly every book in our school library (it's only got two floors though hahaha), so I guess that might be useful. But, I think I'm more interested in the philosophy of law, and the idea of torts and contracts, logic puzzles aside, strikes me as something mind-numbingly dull.

This brings me onto studying philosophy itself. But, tbh, I've read most of the undergrad prescription and besides the awesome tutorial system at Oxbridge, I'm not sure the lack of contact time is something that'd be worth £9000 + living costs per year, when it's just revision. Also, my parents are 1st gen immigrants and there's no way they'd be remotely supportive if I chose an arts degree. The graduate prospects don't look that great either.

Which leads onto English lit. Realistically, I've interned at magazines and they all tell me that print media is dying; I'm fascinated by language and how it holds meaning and there's nothing more appealing than the thought of reading literature for three years. However, like with philosophy, I've read most of the undergrad list (including the Bible, lol - this is what happens when your parents are catholic), and I'm aware that I'm likely to end up as a teacher. Not that that's a bad job (I work as a private tutor in my free time), but it's not a lifelong dream, and I think education's more of a calling.

+++

Other factors / options:

I'm a QPOC (queer person of colour) and I identify/present as female. I have the whole bevy of self-worth/mental health issues common in the community. I'm what a sociologist would call generation 1.5 immigrant.

I recognise that there's great exit options for law and economics (particularly LSE econometrics) into research, investment banking, private equity, the Bar, etc, but discrimination will always be a huge concern of mine.

I've heard too many horror stories and I realise that I will
    face - there's nothing probable about it - glass ceiling, bamboo ceiling and rainbow ceiling/homophobia, which does make me lean away from finance and biglaw, and economics and law by association. I can't afford an arts degree (I did consider taking advantage of Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Columbia, etc [got a 1590/1600 on the November SAT lol] and their insane financial aid for someone of my background, but I'm extremely hesitant now that Trump has been elected).

I feel that I need a stable job, on the strong likelihood that my parents disown me if/when I come out. But, ironically, it's for these same reasons that I feel I won't be able to.

+++

Omigosh, this was a massive essay. But any advice/support would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    "i'm not brilliant at maths"

A* in GCSE Maths, A^ in Additional Maths, predicted A* for Maths and A* for FM

my version of not being good at maths was barely scraping a C at GCSE Level lol
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReluctantWriter)
    This brings me onto studying philosophy itself. But, tbh, I've read most of the undergrad prescription and besides the awesome tutorial system at Oxbridge, I'm not sure the lack of contact time is something that'd be worth £9000 + living costs per year, when it's just revision. Also, my parents are 1st gen immigrants and there's no way they'd be remotely supportive if I chose an arts degree. The graduate prospects don't look that great either.
    Look at Liberal Arts degrees such as BASC at UCL or Flexible Combined Honours eg Exeter.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/basc
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/fch/

Also Oxbridge is not expensive, the tuition fees are exactly the same as any other university, and accommodation can actually be cheaper due to the shorter terms.

Cambridge's tripos system might also give you the flexibility to "mix" different courses.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...rses/structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well straight away my first bit of advice is to go for something that will help you with Poetry, You say it's just a dream but my 'dream life' for years now has been to move to Japan and I'm starting Japanese in the University of Manchester this September, it may not go perfectly and I may never move there but there's that age old phrase "You'll never know if you don't try." so I say give that a go first.

Philosophy and English Lit could both help you greatly with poetry so I'd recommend those. If you have the issue of only being interested in bits of degrees you could search for a dual degree and see if you can find a way to pick the best of both worlds with it. (not too knowledgeable with those so It may not work) and lastly I don't want to sound rude in any way here but you do not go to university to please your parents, you go to be who/what you want to and if that's a poet then I say that's what you strive for, You'll never do your best unless it's something you want to do so your best chance of enjoying and passing university is to pick what you truly want.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me wildly improbable that you have done all or most of the undergraduate reading for Philosophy and for English Literature, such that a degree in either would be "only revision". Quite apart from anything else, reading lists will differ dramatically between institutions, and with option choices even within institutions. What's true as well is that either degree will require you to engage with the material beyond only reading (or re-reading) it.

I would anyway suggest that you consider a degree wholly or partly in Linguistics, which I think might satisy some of the interests in philosophy, language, and formal methods. With your grade profile you might look at:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...inguistics-ba/
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...amme&code=Q100
    https://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/study/undergrad/ppl-course
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...es/linguistics

Oh, and if you're deciding against Law or Finance because you anticipate meeting bigotry, then haven't the bigots just done you over without taking their jackets off? Man or woman up a bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.