Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can I apply to get a job that fits my gap year schedule? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year and I am studying at home to retake some of my A Level exams this summer. I really need a job because I'm broke and I have applied to lots of places but got rejected. Now exams are getting closer and I really wanna know if or where I can get a job that does not hinder my revision plan every week. Or weekend jobs?

ReputationRep:
    What is your revision plan? Do you work best in the morning, in the middle of the day or at night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonest)
    I am currently on a gap year and I am studying at home to retake some of my A Level exams this summer. I really need a job because I'm broke and I have applied to lots of places but got rejected. Now exams are getting closer and I really wanna know if or where I can get a job that does not hinder my revision plan every week. Or weekend jobs?
    Well if you think about it at A level you only did probably 5 hours of lessons a day maximum. Since you're only retaking some exams you probably only need to do 3 hours a day starting from now to ensure really good grades. More easily said than done I know :/

But if you think about 3 hrs a day, it's really not that much. You can easily get it done in the morning, and then you're free from 13:00 onwards if you're organised. That way you can get evening jobs. If you want a job find a restaurant for night time, or a store for day time.

Can anywhere positively discriminate you into their work place, e.g. race, appearance, language competencies, age, even accent...think about something unique you've got... like it sounds stupid and shallow but especially for service jobs they can pick you up for the tiniest thing. Like I once met this woman called Susie Forbes, and she basically got prioritised for a promotion at Vogue because they thought she was part of the billionaire Forbes family, and now she's really successful....we're not all that lucky but I bet you have something.

Also do you have any skills, like can you teach a subject, or language, or music. Even if you can teach an 11 year old, or you're really good with kids.

IDK what else...I'll be thinking about pocket money jobs next year too, hopefully if I get my place in a London University.

GOOOD LUCK!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmykatiemay)
    What is your revision plan? Do you work best in the morning, in the middle of the day or at night?
    I work best during the day and at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicilaw)
    Well if you think about it at A level you only did probably 5 hours of lessons a day maximum. Since you're only retaking some exams you probably only need to do 3 hours a day starting from now to ensure really good grades. More easily said than done I know :/

But if you think about 3 hrs a day, it's really not that much. You can easily get it done in the morning, and then you're free from 13:00 onwards if you're organised. That way you can get evening jobs. If you want a job find a restaurant for night time, or a store for day time.

Can anywhere positively discriminate you into their work place, e.g. race, appearance, language competencies, age, even accent...think about something unique you've got... like it sounds stupid and shallow but especially for service jobs they can pick you up for the tiniest thing. Like I once met this woman called Susie Forbes, and she basically got prioritised for a promotion at Vogue because they thought she was part of the billionaire Forbes family, and now she's really successful....we're not all that lucky but I bet you have something.

Also do you have any skills, like can you teach a subject, or language, or music. Even if you can teach an 11 year old, or you're really good with kids.

IDK what else...I'll be thinking about pocket money jobs next year too, hopefully if I get my place in a London University.

GOOOD LUCK!!
    Hi, thank you so much but I literally have no idea where to apply to. I've applied to several places that I'm out of options.

ReputationRep:
    I am on my gap year currently and have a job at Morrisons in their Price Integrity team. That requires morning work. Perhaps you could inquire at local cafes or sandwich shops that cater primarily to lorry drivers and the sort? There are a few of those in my village and they feed the workers in the morning and can afford to close around lunchtime. If you can find a job that starts early in the morning, that might be useful.

If not, I would suggest a part time job at the weekend, perhaps at a retail store or restaurant. The wages will not be great, but you will only be asked to work certain days.

Honestly I think the best way to go around it is to revise and look for a job, then when you get one, fit your revision plan around the job. You will struggle to find a job if you go in with a can't do mentality, and they will not be impressed if you restrict when you can work too much. Employers tend to like flexibility.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I am on my gap year currently and have a job at Morrisons in their Price Integrity team. That requires morning work. Perhaps you could inquire at local cafes or sandwich shops that cater primarily to lorry drivers and the sort? There are a few of those in my village and they feed the workers in the morning and can afford to close around lunchtime. If you can find a job that starts early in the morning, that might be useful.

If not, I would suggest a part time job at the weekend, perhaps at a retail store or restaurant. The wages will not be great, but you will only be asked to work certain days.

Honestly I think the best way to go around it is to revise and look for a job, then when you get one, fit your revision plan around the job. You will struggle to find a job if you go in with a can't do mentality, and they will not be impressed if you restrict when you can work too much. Employers tend to like flexibility.

Good luck!
    Yh I think I might try to find a weekend job instead. Btw how did you get your job at Morrisons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonest)
    Yh I think I might try to find a weekend job instead. Btw how did you get your job at Morrisons?
    From what I understand, I think they only recruit en masse once a year, but I could be mistaken. They were advertising for three job roles and I applied, got the job, and they moved me after a week up to the office because the office job was full time which was what I was after. If you go in and ask if there are any job vacancies, or ask for a job application form, they'll let you know if they're recruiting. If they're not, give them your contact details and ask to be informed when they are. Last year when I was a sixth form student I was a waitress at a local pub and depending on what kind of money you're looking to put away on your gap year, I would recommend that as the primary path to go down. The majority of waitresses/waiters are students and will move on quickly, so restaurants tend to be recruiting almost constantly. They are probably your best shot. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand, I think they only recruit en masse once a year, but I could be mistaken. They were advertising for three job roles and I applied, got the job, and they moved me after a week up to the office because the office job was full time which was what I was after. If you go in and ask if there are any job vacancies, or ask for a job application form, they'll let you know if they're recruiting. If they're not, give them your contact details and ask to be informed when they are. Last year when I was a sixth form student I was a waitress at a local pub and depending on what kind of money you're looking to put away on your gap year, I would recommend that as the primary path to go down. The majority of waitresses/waiters are students and will move on quickly, so restaurants tend to be recruiting almost constantly. They are probably your best shot. Good luck!
    Thank you, I'll also try restaurants. I never thought of that.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your skills; what're your assets? what can you do? then find a job online by literally just typing in your skills and local area on google then apply these particular skills to your CV and apply This is going to be my situation this year after I finish my A levels as I only did two and an AS how have you resat yours like at college or completely independent study ?

hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daisy230199)
    it depends on your skills; what're your assets? what can you do? then find a job online by literally just typing in your skills and local area on google then apply these particular skills to your CV and apply This is going to be my situation this year after I finish my A levels as I only did two and an AS how have you resat yours like at college or completely independent study ?

hope this helped
    Thank you. I'm doing complete independent study and I'm resitting my exams during summer at my old sixth form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.