The Student Room Group

I want to become a Physician Associate in the UK, it is my dream...

I am from Spain and i would like to achieve my dream of becoming a PA.

How difficult is the course? My English is not perfect at the moment i guess this is a problem so I will have to improve it as much as possible.

Now i am in my third year of nursing school and working in a Hospital so I am very used to the healthcare world.

My idea is to work in the UK healthcare system as a nurse for at least 3 years to make my english perfect and then try the physician associate course.

How is the role? I read so much about the role and how you can make diagnosis and plan treatments with doctors but i am not really sure about it.

Thanks
if you are already an RN there is little or no point in becoming a PA, you;d be better off spending the time developing your RN role and looking for a role where you can utilise prescribing and advanced practice as an RN.
Reply 2
Original post by zippyRN
if you are already an RN there is little or no point in becoming a PA, you;d be better off spending the time developing your RN role and looking for a role where you can utilise prescribing and advanced practice as an RN.

I have been working as an RN and i really enjoy it but i really enjoy the medical model too, thinking about diagnosis and treatments, that is what i really enjoy the most.

In fact if you are a nurse you can become a PA cause is a healthscience degree, and they ask for a healthscience degree + work experience + 7 IELTS ( English test)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by matucm
I have been working as an RN and i really enjoy it but i really enjoy the medical model too, thinking about diagnosis and treatments, that is what i really enjoy the most.

In fact if you are a nurse you can become a PA cause is a healthscience degree, and they ask for a healthscience degree + work experience + 7 IELTS ( English test)

Have you worked as a RN in the UK ?

PAs cannot do anything as the law does not recognise them for prescribing. posessing CDs, administering Parenteral medications etc etc etc

An RN with the Independent prescribing qualification can prescribe

RNs in the UK have been doing invasivie and 'surgicla ' procedures for many years if they have suitable training and education to undertake these interventions.
Reply 4
Original post by matucm
I am from Spain and i would like to achieve my dream of becoming a PA.

How difficult is the course? My English is not perfect at the moment i guess this is a problem so I will have to improve it as much as possible.

Now i am in my third year of nursing school and working in a Hospital so I am very used to the healthcare world.

My idea is to work in the UK healthcare system as a nurse for at least 3 years to make my english perfect and then try the physician associate course.

How is the role? I read so much about the role and how you can make diagnosis and plan treatments with doctors but i am not really sure about it.

Thanks

It's great that you would like to become a physician associate (PA) in the UK.

The role involves taking histories, doing examinations, and yes, diagnosing patients. The following NHS website gives good information on the role and training, if you haven't already looked at it: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/physician-associateassistant/physician-associate

I expect the role of PAs will increase in the coming years, especially with the shortage of doctors (particularly GPs) which is probably going to get worse before it gets better.
Reply 5
Original post by navarre

The role involves taking histories, doing examinations, and yes, diagnosing patients. The following NHS website gives good information on the role and training, if you haven't already looked at it: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/physician-associateassistant/physician-associate

I expect the role of PAs will increase in the coming years, especially with the shortage of doctors (particularly GPs) which is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

Thank you very much for the information!!!
Original post by navarre

Even though they cannot legally do much of what is being suggested by the fantasists...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by zippyRN
Even though they cannot legally do much of what is being suggested by the fantasists...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet, anyways.
Original post by navarre
Not yet, anyways.

17 years after State Registration and about the same after the first bachelors pre-reg courses Paramedics were told that their profession was not sufficiently developed to be able to be considered for prescribing ...

it;s all smoke and mirrors and once the pump priming funding ends the jobs will disppear or get down graded to cannula and ECG ***** on band 3/4 ( like the current roles which are cannula / ECG ***** but belong to Nursing or Cardiac Physiology )
Reply 9
Hi guys :smile: You may find the new facebook PA group useful :smile:https://www.facebook.com/groups/1794852010838384/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quick Reply

Latest