Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my GCSE grades prevent my chances of getting into a top UK uni? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A*'s and 7 A's at GCSE.

I know that a lot of unis consider gcse grades if a course is competitive and will take into account the amount of A*'s someone has.

Compared to others I have a relatively low number of A*'s, will this affect my prospects?

ReputationRep:
    I got a very similar set of results, and I don't think so after going through the process myself - just make sure that your AS grades are banging so that you can get the best predictions possible in Year 13 - while AS may not count for a chunk of your final grade anymore, it certainly comes to bite you on the bottom if you don't take it so seriously

Get relevant experience, look at Open Days, course specs, student reviews etc when preparing and START YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT EARLY, even if it's just planning - it'll be hard to get skills at the last minute, so doing even the smallest of things out of school can either be mentioned in your PS or reference. Never too early (unlike me - that's another story ) Hope you manage to get the course at the Uni you want!

ReputationRep:
    What are you planning to do at uni? And where are you thinking of applying to?

Those GCSEs are excellent, and should be fine for most unis in the UK.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see which forum this was in lol (I'm tired) - but yeah, the point still stands in that you should be fine for most unis in the UK. Your A-Levels, work experience, personal statement, interview, LNAT (if required by the unis that you wish to apply to) are all more important at this stage. Concentrate on smashing all of those, and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I actually cba anymore.
    I won't even be surprised anymore if someone asked on here:
    " I have 12 A*'s, will i get into at least a decent university?"
    like man... of course you can get into a good uni with those grades!
    They're excellento!
    Well done!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.