Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iranian baby scheduled for US heart surgery "banned" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    That has to be right but very few visa applicants will have literally no connection to the US. That connection may very tenuous (booking a two week holiday at Disneyland) or very substantial (a spouse, an American born child, a house, personal effects, a job, but short of permanent residence) or anywhere in between. At some point (but what point) the protection of the Constitution will kick in.

However does the Congressional protection under the no discrimination in Immigration statute extent to a greater body of people that the Constitutional protection?

There are clear signs that Conservatives on the Supreme Court think that madness lies in trying to answer these questions. Every case turns on its own facts and so every alien has his own Constitutional battle. Scalia in particular seemed more interested in asking what due process requires rather than whether someone is entitled to it Due process protects substantive rights and for those with no right to be in the US, it bites on nothing.
    I agree, but do you really believe the average Syrian has even a tenuous connection to the U.S.? I doubt it. This may be the case in Europe or the U.K. but not the U.S..
    Regardless, If someone can make a case for Constitutional protection they should be afforded the chance.

But you have to admit that there is a need for more scrutiny when vetting a group of people when many in their group have declared war on you, around 25% of that group agree and feel they should support the war in some way ( cash etc.),, and up to 45% of the same group support the war in spirit, ( ideologically). More importantly, the leadership of the militant wing of the group has said they will infiltrate groups of refugees to gain entry. Common sense should tell you these aren't normal times. You can't live by all of your principals all the time and the Constitution is not a suicide pact. The current citizens of the U.S. owe it to no one to allow masses of people to come here when we are certain many of them hate us and our way of life and have no respect for our laws. Personally, I would support a total ban on muslims entering the U.S.. From what I can see in Europe they bring nothing to the table and refuse to assimilate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    I agree, but do you really believe the average Syrian has even a tenuous connection to the U.S.? I doubt it.
    The average Syrian doesn't but the average Syrian engaging with US immigration will.

If we ignore the Rio Grande and the 49th parallel, anyone who seeks admission to the USA presents either genuine or forged travel documents including a visa (visa waiver doesn't apply to Syria). That means they have either been accepted as a refugee to be resettled in the USA from some camp in some country surrounding Syria or they have some other basis of entry that is unrelated to the political situation in Syria. The plain fact is that apart from tourists, you don't get a visa without some pre-existing connection to the USA. You won't get a student visa without an accepted offer of a college place, you won't get a visa as a dependent of some other person in the US without that other person in the US and so on and so forth. This isn't 1911 with thousands simply turning up at Ellis Island hoping to be admitted. You can see that from what happened when the ban was in force. The folk detained weren't friendless travellers. They were people with families, jobs or college places in the US even if they had never set foot in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The average Syrian doesn't but the average Syrian engaging with US immigration will.

If we ignore the Rio Grande and the 49th parallel, anyone who seeks admission to the USA presents either genuine or forged travel documents including a visa (visa waiver doesn't apply to Syria). That means they have either been accepted as a refugee to be resettled in the USA from some camp in some country surrounding Syria or they have some other basis of entry that is unrelated to the political situation in Syria. The plain fact is that apart from tourists, you don't get a visa without some pre-existing connection to the USA. You won't get a student visa without an accepted offer of a college place, you won't get a visa as a dependent of some other person in the US without that other person in the US and so on and so forth. This isn't 1911 with thousands simply turning up at Ellis Island hoping to be admitted. You can see that from what happened when the ban was in force. The folk detained weren't friendless travellers. They were people with families, jobs or college places in the US even if they had never set foot in the country.
    My guess is, because the entire country looks like Dresden after the war. is that anyone with a job connection or the where with-all to attend college here is here and can afford a plane ticket for aunt Agnes to come. The people you are describing fit this group. They were caught up in what was a 90 day temporary stay on new arrivals. That not the group that concerns me. I'm looking at thousands in camps without a pot to piss in, no papers, and oddly enough, have the same last names of the folks who would just as soon cut our heads off.

Here's my bottom line; There are 15-20 other countries with high pop. of muslims. Divide their numbers up between these countries and demand the Saudis and other oil rich countries come to the aid of their muslim brothers and sisters.
    It's my common sense that tells me that the U.S. is the LAST country these people should be sent to. People in the U.K. don't seem to mind, ( a great deal anyway ), their country being taken over by people they have almost nothing in common with, let them go there. The refugees who landed in Germany seem to be fitting in quite well. Let Germany take 3-4 million more. Americans are totally free of the same sense of guilt that is leading these countries to commit such self destructive behavior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The DOJ failed to present any evidence that there was an imminent threat from these countries. One of the reasons their appeal was refused. If they had done, then then it would have strengthened their case considerably.
    The evidence was available. I wish they would have. It probably didn't occur to them that to the 9th circuit court Pres. Trump is more a threat to the U.S. then terrorists.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.