Want to go out more but no one around me does...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Back in the day, I used to be a nerd who was incredibly anti-social, but I've finally broke out of my shell. I want to start meeting new people and socializing more but I'm finding it really difficult. The people I hang out with never really want to go out at all but I don't want to make it like I'm leaving them behind. Does any else have or had this same feeling before? Or anyone have any advice on this?

I'm studying Computer Science in 2nd year if anyone wanted to know :P
CamLikesCookies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
*taking a break from a 3 hour bout Minecraft because I chose not to go out tonight*

I can't be much help as far as meeting new people, for me it never seems to work trying to meet people, I kinda just stumble on the good ones now and then. I would say that you shouldn't worry about leaving the other friends behind, it's better to be able to break free and go do your own thing sometimes. Personally I do pretty well with my own company, no harm in going out on your own now and then, being in a club on your own has a strange way of letting you empty your mind completely.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by CamLikesCookies)
*taking a break from a 3 hour bout Minecraft because I chose not to go out tonight*

I can't be much help as far as meeting new people, for me it never seems to work trying to meet people, I kinda just stumble on the good ones now and then. I would say that you shouldn't worry about leaving the other friends behind, it's better to be able to break free and go do your own thing sometimes. Personally I do pretty well with my own company, no harm in going out on your own now and then, being in a club on your own has a strange way of letting you empty your mind completely.
I've never been out alone before, sounds kinda cool, but kinda dangerous at the same time haha thanks for the advice though
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start thinking about your career post uni. You'd want to make as many friends that know how awesome you are as a coder
Lavaridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Back in the day, I used to be a nerd who was incredibly anti-social, but I've finally broke out of my shell. I want to start meeting new people and socializing more but I'm finding it really difficult. The people I hang out with never really want to go out at all but I don't want to make it like I'm leaving them behind. Does any else have or had this same feeling before? Or anyone have any advice on this?

I was in the exact same position as you in my second year and it was the most depressing of my life (to date). The solution I found was to join societies, even those I had only a passing interest in, especially one which I knew had nights out. Didn't get quite as many as I would have liked, but far more than if I'd stayed in my room listening to my housemates go crazy over League of Legends and Minecraft.
kenni12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Try going on Meetup to find new groups to go out with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise