Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Hundreds of Rohingyas' killed in Myanmar crackdown Watch

ReputationRep:
    From the article:

The report, which was based on interviews with 204 Rohingya refugees who fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, recounted gruesome violations allegedly carried out by members of Myanmar's security services or civilian fighters working alongside the army and the police.

Of the 101 women interviewed, more than half said they had been raped or sexually assaulted.

Several women told UN investigators how their young children, including a newborn, were trampled or cut to death.

Security forces were also accused of opening fire at people fleeing and burning entire villages, as well as of "massive and systematic rape and sexual violence; deliberate destruction of food and sources of food".

The UN said it had reports of three children aged six or younger being "slaughtered with knives".

"An eight-month-old baby was reportedly killed while his mother was gang-raped by five security officers," the rights office also said, citing witness accounts.

"What kind of hatred could make a man stab a baby crying out for his mother's milk," UN rights chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein said in the statement. "What kind of 'clearance operation' is this? What national security goals could possibly be served by this?"
    Full article http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...101817841.html

ReputationRep:
    Terrible. A shame that this kind of explicit, violent persecution still happens.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UN needs to stop "condemning" and actually start doing.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy, I thought Burma had sorted itself out a bit recently. What is it with SEA countries and death squads?

Also, isn't it funny how people are in uproar about Trump banning a few Muslim nations from immigration, but Burma committing a genocide against Muslims is pretty much ignored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם)
    Crazy, I thought Burma had sorted itself out a bit recently. What is it with SEA countries and death squads?

Also, isn't it funny how people are in uproar about Trump banning a few Muslim nations from immigration, but Burma committing a genocide against Muslims is pretty much ignored?
    Well most of these Rohingya don't live in Massachusetts and/or study a liberal arts degree, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Well most of these Rohingya don't live in Massachusetts and/or study a liberal arts degree, so...
    I almost get the sense that the people protesting against Trump don't really give a damn about it, but just want to seem pious amongst their chums.

ReputationRep:
    I bet half the people who attack Islam/Muslims don't even know the situation in Burma.

At least us Muslims have the decency not to go around making countless threads titled "Buddhism religion of peace" even when this has been ongoing. It's because we've been taught tolerance and we don't paint all people with the same brush, unlike some hypocritical users on TSR.

@islamophobic crew where you at now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by HAnwar)
      I bet half the people who attack Islam/Muslims don't even know the situation in Burma.

At least us Muslims have the decency not to go around making countless threads titled "Buddhism religion of peace" even when this has been ongoing. It's because we've been taught tolerance and we don't paint all people with the same brush, unlike some hypocritical users on TSR.

@islamophobic crew where you at now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      You tagged me?

I agree that Bhuddism is not nearly as peaceful as Westerners, in their naiive rose-tinted view of non-Western things, like to think.

But then again, I have a hard time believing that it is anywhere near as violent as Islam. Overall, I don't see Bhuddists overtly clashing with Western civilisation. Care to show any polls that display a hatred of the West amongst Bhuddists, or fundamentalism, on a par with muslims?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HAnwar)
      Decency lol. No, it's because you wouldn't be able to pull it off. Even with Buddhism having nearly 2000 more years of history on Islam, an infinite amount of misery and suffering has been caused in the name of Islam than Buddhism.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.