Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying so hard to change my situation and nothing seems to be working. Watch

I had been brought up for the majority of my life in a single parent household.It was tough at times as my mum had me at a young age so she could not pursue further education due to her responsibilities as a mother.I am trying so hard everyday waking up going to school studying after school to have a better life and I feel like there are no fruits from my labour.I got rejected by 4 academic establishments already.I am working on an A/A* but it is still not good enough for schools.Why won't anyone give me a chance?I am really determined and diligent I am just tired of receiving so many rejection letters.It hurts when you give it your all you go to school despite my deep hatred of school I only go to school to change my life yet I feel hopeless.

I read somewhere if you don't like your situation change it.I am trying to do that everyday I fight every single day for a better life and I feel like no matter how hard i work not matter what i do failure is inevitable.My commute to school is 30 minutes by bus+walking and I feel so tired I sleep nearly every day after school.I wake up at night I cannot sleep well.I just feel angry because I feel like nothing is working for me no matter how ambitious I am,how hard I work I feel like I have no chance because no one wants to give me a chance.The teachers at my schools ( maths department to be specific) are so idle and reluctant to help, making excuses every day when I turn on their doorstep asking for help.

I used or still want to be a doctor I want to go to a really good university so badly but I feel like I have no chance I feel frustrated with the whole situation.

ReputationRep:
    With grades like the ones you're describing it feels like the issue might be your personal statement. It is the MOST important part of your application, trust me. I was accepted to all 5 of my choices with less than perfect grades and then got in to my top choice even after my grades were way below what they wanted, why? Because I had an amazing personal statement. It took a long time and god knows how many drafts but it was worth it. If you're applying for each uni seperately then try changing your personal statement, it makes a huge difference. That hopelessness you're feeling about education? That might be coming across in your applications. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just don't give up. You have good grades and therefore good prospects - work out where you have gone wrong and fix it. Apply again next year if you need to and take time out to work + save money/travel.

(Original post by Hanskenobi)
    With grades like the ones you're describing it feels like the issue might be your personal statement. It is the MOST important part of your application, trust me. I was accepted to all 5 of my choices with less than perfect grades and then got in to my top choice even after my grades were way below what they wanted, why? Because I had an amazing personal statement. It took a long time and god knows how many drafts but it was worth it. If you're applying for each uni seperately then try changing your personal statement, it makes a huge difference. That hopelessness you're feeling about education? That might be coming across in your applications. Good luck
    They did not aks for a personal statemement.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I had been brought up for the majority of my life in a single parent household.It was tough at times as my mum had me at a young age so she could not pursue further education due to her responsibilities as a mother.I am trying so hard everyday waking up going to school studying after school to have a better life and I feel like there are no fruits from my labour.I got rejected by 4 academic establishments already.I am working on an A/A* but it is still not good enough for schools.Why won't anyone give me a chance?I am really determined and diligent I am just tired of receiving so many rejection letters.It hurts when you give it your all you go to school despite my deep hatred of school I only go to school to change my life yet I feel hopeless.

I read somewhere if you don't like your situation change it.I am trying to do that everyday I fight every single day for a better life and I feel like no matter how hard i work not matter what i do failure is inevitable.My commute to school is 30 minutes by bus+walking and I feel so tired I sleep nearly every day after school.I wake up at night I cannot sleep well.I just feel angry because I feel like nothing is working for me no matter how ambitious I am,how hard I work I feel like I have no chance because no one wants to give me a chance.The teachers at my schools ( maths department to be specific) are so idle and reluctant to help, making excuses every day when I turn on their doorstep asking for help.

I used or still want to be a doctor I want to go to a really good university so badly but I feel like I have no chance I feel frustrated with the whole situation.

its hard to get a clear picture. You just sound frustrated amd stressed because you didnt get into medical school. Its not uncommon for people to have to try 2 or 3 times to get in,

1. Get the grades you need (within 2 year period) because without those then you wont manage it.

2. Part of that will be achieved by looking after yourself amd less stressing.

3. Try and be patient, with more flexibility. Believe you will get there and simply try your best without beating yourself up.

4. Try again next year and as suggested work on your personal statement (said above), practie testing abd get more work experience to strengthen your application.

5. Dont give in (as per doodle). If you keep doing the right things, then you create opportunities and one will pay off.

Post on the medical section and take advice over your personal statement

ps look to see whether any institutions have entry for students from disadvantaged bakground and see if you fit

pps. Exercise sleep , nutrition and relaxation all have their place.
    • Very Important Poster

You are applying for medicine? There is no personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I have no chance I feel frustrated with the whole situation.

I would feel the same.:hugs:

You need to speak to someone who can look at your educational and personal record as a whole and tell you why it isn't working yet.
    Who can you speak to?
    Is there someone at your college/school/advisory place thingie who would listen to you?

Quite often in life everyone feels the same as you.
    That they're banging their head against a ceiling, and everyone knows how to work the system but you don't.

It's probably a combination of things (you need better results/ better english/ a better way of expressing what-you-want sort of thing).
    But you can't see that by yourself.

Go on.
    Talk to someone.
    The first person may be no good.
    But the third or fourth may be honest and say 'OK, you need to do the following things.'

It may take a few years.
    But so does everything that's worth while.

Good luck.
    Go ask the hard questions, get the hard answers, and fight on.
    It's what you want and everything is achievable if you take your time and don't rush.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Well try applying through UCAS maybe?

ReputationRep:

This is the issue. Everyone who is anyone wants to be a doctor. As a result, competition is uber fierce. You need to make sure your personal statement is super-dooper. But do not be deterred. If a life as a doctor is not for you, I am sure there will be other avenues. You are really really young. The world is your oyster. I have found in my life that if one road is not available, making a bold step down a different one yields massive benefits. It is when you start getting frustrated about blocked road A that things become difficult.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.