Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My current schools sixth form received last year 54%A/A* it is an outstanding school according to ofstead.I applied to 3 private schools on a bursary with A/A* 80%+ got rejected from all.I applied to 6 grammar.I got rejected from 1.The other 3 are quite far so I may withdraw my offer as my mother is very worried about me travelling 1 hour 10+ as she is worried about my wellbeing and safety.This leaves me with 2 grammar schools 1 very competitive and the other is ok 55-60%A/A*.The one i really want to go to receives 80%+A/A* which i really want to go to but i am scared of being rejected.

What do you think I should do?My mother is very against me changing schools and she does not want me to commute an insane amount of time for her which is over an hour.Does it matter which sixth form you go to?I would like to go to a top university to study medicine.I don't like the people/teachers in my school.

ReputationRep:
    A-levels is more independent work rather than spoon-feeding, you'll do good wherever you go as long as you work hard and understand the content.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what courses you want to do, eg if you want to do chem, bio, and phys, then you should go to the sixth form that has the better labs. The grades you get don't depend on the sixth form, because you're most likely to be revising from a revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferhhh)
    It depends on what courses you want to do, eg if you want to do chem, bio, and phys, then you should go to the sixth form that has the better labs. The grades you get don't depend on the sixth form, because you're most likely to be revising from a revision guide.
    I want to do biology,chemistry and maths.For the fourth option I want to do further maths or english lit.I am a very theoretical person I hate experiments.

ReputationRep:
    My Sixth Form was terrible. I'm now studying at a top 5 uni for Computer Science (alongside two of my friends), another of my friends is studying at a top 5 university for Physics and another friend is at Imperial studying Chemistry.

In short, your choice of Sixth Form means diddly squat if you work hard and revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I want to do biology,chemistry and maths.For the fourth option I want to do further maths or english lit.I am a very theoretical person I hate experiments.
    Well if you're doing biology and chemistry you will be doing a lot of practicals and lab reports...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it does not.
    Your local comprehensive will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    As said earlier, everyone kind of teaches themselves at sixthform. The school i'm at is pretty good with 80% A*-A, but in Bio we havent even had a teacher for half the year. But its not really a problem as you can teach yourself the content anyway. Just comes down to how hard workign you are; so yeh, just go where you will feel happiest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.