Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone have a rough idea of the UMS marks required in AS chemistry for an A watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    There's only a few more days till i get my AS results. I know that most of u r nervous bout ur A-Level results but cud someone clear up this confusion i have bout these bloody UMS marks. IS it seriously possible to get a lower UMS mark than ur raw mark? coz if it is then thats a joke. And then if anyone knows id like to know wot their UMS grade boundaries were for AS Chemistry and Biology if possible. PS I did OCR in both.
    Thanks very much if u can help.

ReputationRep:
    Referring to what you said about getting less UMS marks than RAW marks, it made me chuckle to think that a biology student may sporadically have scored 120/120 Raw marks, and thus according to your comment get 120 UMS marks...

What an achievement!

Lol

Sorry to be pedantic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I spent 20 minutes sending you a PM; did you read it?

Here it is, again:

"Classic Example. Say the exam is out of 60 every year.

1st year - Extremely easy paper. Because it was so easy and people did better than normal, more raw marks are required to get 80% UMS, and hence the A Grade.

2nd year - Average paper. A typical paper, hence it was harder than Year 1. The usual amount of raw marks are required, for the 80% UMS, hence the A.

3rd year - Paper is absolutely solid, compared to years 1 and even year 2. Hence, people generally got a lower raw mark on this paper than that of candidates from previous years. (did worse in effect). So, less raw marks are required to get the 80% UMS, hence the A Grade.

As you can see, the difficulty of the paper and hence how candidates found the paper that year in comparison to how people found it in previous years, is considered in scaling Raw Marks to UMS Marks. This is to ensure that the grading of papers is fair, of course, and isn't dependant on "luck of the exam paper" in that year.

Hope that helps. "

No thanks very much wen u explained the UMS process to me. I appreciated that but wot i really wanted from this thread is past experiences in UMS grade boundaries. I didnt ignore ur advice to me, i just need some examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Hi,
    There's only a few more days till i get my AS results. I know that most of u r nervous bout ur A-Level results but cud someone clear up this confusion i have bout these bloody UMS marks. IS it seriously possible to get a lower UMS mark than ur raw mark? coz if it is then thats a joke. And then if anyone knows id like to know wot their UMS grade boundaries were for AS Chemistry and Biology if possible. PS I did OCR in both.
    depends what your UMS is out of, and what your raw mark is out of, eg. the paper could be marked out of 200, but the UMS could be out of 80. from my own experiences i've never seen a lower raw mark (percentage) than a UMS, it's always been scaled up- one of my german papers was given 105/105 UMS, but my raw mark was atrocious- the paper was really difficult though

ReputationRep:
    The example that springs to mind for me is maths. For modules such as p1, there are more candidates taking it, as it is an AS module. This means that there would be more people scoring less than me so I would get a greater UMS, so if I got 80% raw, it would go up to 85% or something. However, for modules like p5, there are considerable people doing it as, not only is it an A2 module, but it is further maths, so generally people taking it are mathimatical legends and the UMS might go donw as it has in recent years, so if I get 60% it might go down to 50% UMS.

ReputationRep:
    all depends on the exam paper.

I did chains, rings and spectroscopy in january and the raw mark for an A was something like 76/90.

wrt to chemistry for OCR, the A boundary will roughly be 80% raw marks, but Biology OCR is generally lower, about 45ish/60 for an A and about 94ish/120 for an A but this all depends on how hard the paper is deemed to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ed)
    Hi,
    A=240/300 (80%) UMS. UMS is a fixed mark scale, whereby the percentage of UMs you get from a unit is constant regardless of the relative difficulty of the paper (across the whole A Level specifications an A has varied by upto 35%). In Chemistry I do AQA, and although the first paper is substantially easier, they rarely increase the grade boundaries as they will instead let candidates score well on this paper as a safety bank for the other two. The thing about UMS is that the principle of the system is not always applied- namely that a scaled mark reflects the dififculty of the paper. The WJEC, for English Lang & Lit, move grade boundaries for one paper up by several marks in the January session because the knowledge gained in A2 is supposed to make the paper really easy- this also goes against the grain of UMS, but still it happens!

If you tell me the module/paper marks for Edexcel chemistry, I could give you more detail (including coursework) but using my Chemistry (which I am really terriefied about) as an example:

Paper 1; Worth 30% AS- Therefore worth 90 UMS points /300 for the AS
    Paper out of 60. An A is normally 44-46, and would never be higher than 48 but has been as low as 40. I think this year's paper was relatively hard, as it included some obscure stuff about beryillium. Say it is 44/60 for an A.

44/60= 72/90 UMS.
    Say you did well on this paper, and so got 48/60, which would give you roughly 77/90 UMS.

Paper 2 Also worth 30% AS, and so also worth 90 UMS points.
    Paper out of 60. An A is normally 44-46, but again has gone as low as 40. I think I ****** this paper up completely, so assume you got 38/60, with an A=41. This would give you a UMS= 67/90

Paper 3 is split into two sections: Coursework and Exam Paper (Organic Chemistry). The marks are scaled for both and then added together to give one score, from which UMS is generated. This works massively to your advantage.

On the coursework, assume you got 30/30, this is scaled to 45/45.

On the exam paper, which becase of the coursework is normally fairly fixed at 45/60, you do ok and get a middle B, which is roughly 42/60. This is scaled up to 53/75.

The two scaled marks are added up to give 98/120, which is just above the A boundary (95). This is converted to UMS/120 (where A=96, 80% of the unit marks as always; UMS spreads all grades by 10%, so B-70, C-60 and so on), and would probably get about 99/120.

If we then add all three UMS marks:
    Paper 1: 77
    Paper 2: 67
    Paper 3: 99
    TOTAL: 243, which is just above the A grade boundary. My example shows how with very good coursework, it is possible to achieve an A without getting As in all papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    A=240/300 (80%) UMS. UMS is a fixed mark scale, whereby the percentage of UMs you get from a unit is constant regardless of the relative difficulty of the paper (across the whole A Level specifications an A has varied by upto 35%). In Chemistry I do AQA, and although the first paper is substantially easier, they rarely increase the grade boundaries as they will instead let candidates score well on this paper as a safety bank for the other two. The thing about UMS is that the principle of the system is not always applied- namely that a scaled mark reflects the dififculty of the paper. The WJEC, for English Lang & Lit, move grade boundaries for one paper up by several marks in the January session because the knowledge gained in A2 is supposed to make the paper really easy- this also goes against the grain of UMS, but still it happens!

If you tell me the module/paper marks for Edexcel chemistry, I could give you more detail (including coursework) but using my Chemistry (which I am really terriefied about) as an example:

Paper 1; Worth 30% AS- Therefore worth 90 UMS points /300 for the AS
    Paper out of 60. An A is normally 44-46, and would never be higher than 48 but has been as low as 40. I think this year's paper was relatively hard, as it included some obscure stuff about beryillium. Say it is 44/60 for an A.

44/60= 72/90 UMS.
    Say you did well on this paper, and so got 48/60, which would give you roughly 77/90 UMS.

Paper 2 Also worth 30% AS, and so also worth 90 UMS points.
    Paper out of 60. An A is normally 44-46, but again has gone as low as 40. I think I ****** this paper up completely, so assume you got 38/60, with an A=41. This would give you a UMS= 67/90

Paper 3 is split into two sections: Coursework and Exam Paper (Organic Chemistry). The marks are scaled for both and then added together to give one score, from which UMS is generated. This works massively to your advantage.

On the coursework, assume you got 30/30, this is scaled to 45/45.

On the exam paper, which becase of the coursework is normally fairly fixed at 45/60, you do ok and get a middle B, which is roughly 42/60. This is scaled up to 53/75.

The two scaled marks are added up to give 98/120, which is just above the A boundary (95). This is converted to UMS/120 (where A=96, 80% of the unit marks as always; UMS spreads all grades by 10%, so B-70, C-60 and so on), and would probably get about 99/120.

If we then add all three UMS marks:
    Paper 1: 77
    Paper 2: 67
    Paper 3: 99
    TOTAL: 243, which is just above the A grade boundary. My example shows how with very good coursework, it is possible to achieve an A without getting As in all papers.

Thanks very much. Even though we do different exam boards for chemistry the example u used was exactly the same numbers and figures for OCR chemistry. Im so nervous bout the results and i desperately need an A in it. The only problem is that my chemistry teacher wasnt allowed to give high marks for coursework so i only got 44/60 which is just under an A. I reckon that that last module with the coursework will ruin me. OH well! Im depressed now.

ReputationRep:
    No- haven't you learned anything from the example!!! (sarcastic). If you get As on all three papers, or a good A, a borderline A and a B, you will still do it!! Are you going for medicine- because the 'I really need an A in Chemistry' line is the future medics anthem (IMO, TMK)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    No- haven't you learned anything from the example!!! (sarcastic). If you get As on all three papers, or a good A, a borderline A and a B, you will still do it!! Are you going for medicine- because the 'I really need an A in Chemistry' line is the future medics anthem (IMO, TMK)
    Im sorry tomcoolinguk. To be honest i really dont trust these exam boards because ive heard so many stories where people have done well in 2 of their modules and then on the last module they didnt do as good, not even drasticallly bad and its brought their whole grade down. That last module on chemistry was harder than other years so im hoping that the raw marks will be converted to higher UMS marks, so im still not gonna predict a grade but i reckon im so borderline its unbelievable.
    Yes ur right, i do want to study medicine and become a doctor. Im sure u will know wot i say wen i say that i want it so bad. I have to become a doctor!! And for that u need an A in chemistry, which is y im panicking. Luckily i have alot of medical work experience lined up like for the next few weeks im working in a physiotherapy department, then the ICU department and then the minor wounds department, so thats good i suppose.
    Where do u wanna study medicine and wot work experience u dun so far?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.