Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how safe is it to travel around shoreditch/old street at night? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Im due to attend some seminars in the evening around moorefields eye hospital / other areas in shoreditch. thing is I am aware it is part of hackney council and the seminars are rather annoyingly at night time (finish around 9-10). How safe is it to be on the streets by yourself at that time and would it be recommended to stay overnight in a hotel rather than catch trains?

ReputationRep:
    Very safe. 20 years ago I might not have recommended it, but the Shoreditch area is very safe. Rowdy at weekends, biggest threat are pickpockets, but very very low risk of mugging.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine. I've been near old street around 1am before. I just saw someone drunk but that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Im due to attend some seminars in the evening around moorefields eye hospital / other areas in shoreditch. thing is I am aware it is part of hackney council and the seminars are rather annoyingly at night time (finish around 9-10). How safe is it to be on the streets by yourself at that time and would it be recommended to stay overnight in a hotel rather than catch trains?
    Would say it is quite safe - the same as most of Central London and the west end.

That being said, crime happens everywhere in London - from run down areas consisting of council estates all the way to nice posh apartments in regenerated and upcoming areas.

As a Londoner myself, I have seen the old fight here and there but thanks to an increase in CCTV, advancements in technology and the government and councils investing millions into regeneration programmes - London as a whole is getting safer. The areas you have mentioned were by the way part of these regeneration programmes which is why you will see a nice young population on a night out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.