Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paying £9K annual fees for an ex-Poly Education Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So your contention is nothing to do with "ex-poly" or not. You just want everyone to either have a STEM degree or not "bother" to get a degree at all?

Just so we're clear.
    If you are serious about your career, whether its in the field of technology, finance, engineering, I would not attend any of the new universities. Employers target certain institutions. I know too many (notably relatives) who have been disappointed with the outcome and yes, a STEM degree is far more useful in the world of work.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolas1)
    If you are serious about your career, whether its in the field of technology, finance, engineering, I would not attend any of the new universities. Employers target certain institutions. I know too many (notably relatives) who have been disappointed with the outcome and yes, a STEM degree is far more useful in the world of work.
    Did you see my edit?

And it looks like that site is basically a grad scheme job board, for which you need a degree, usually any degree. And it won't matter from which university.

ReputationRep:
    Did your degree in IR from Keele help your own career in IB? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...06&postcount=8

And yet you also seem to be jealous of potential Cambridge postgrads:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...&postcount=660

BTW re "Thanks God the tax payer is no longer footing the bill." who pays for the written-off student loans?

Oh, and re Wolverhampton
    https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?...=ta-chg-school
    A couple of examples:
    VP at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
    MD at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
    Executive Director at UBS, went to Wolverhampton

At UEL
    VP at Barclays Investment Bank, went to UEL
    High Frequency Engineer at Barclays Capital, went to UEL
    A lot of these people in investment banking that you mentioned are either in back office or entered the business a long time ago, back when they cared less about university prestige. These days, a student at Wolverhampton would be severely disadvantaged when applying to a banking job compared to students from target and semi-target universities.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is. Many students posting come from different backgrounds. But I still maintain employers target certain universities, and even particular courses. And for certain institutions to proclaim the contrary is to give false hopes to young people whilst taking out of their pocket. It's actually grossly misleading. And a realignment is inevitable....
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    back when they cared less about university prestige
    O rly?

If anything "prestige" would have been a bigger factor back in the day.

And tbf who cares if it's back office or whatever. It's a job. A very well paid job certainly compared to the average wage.

ReputationRep:
    I've changed my mind quite a bit on universities and the subjects people study.

I don't think it really matters which university you go to or what you choose to study, as long as you do internships while you do it.
    This is far more valuable to employers. When I was thinking about which university to go to I asked my former employer for advice and he said that it doesn't matter, what matters far more is the individual.

I've spoken to other employers too and they've said the same thing.

Like I said, make sure that you have experience as you're doing your degree, don't wait until it's over.

By the time I graduate I'll have done three internships and studied at three different universities in different countries, all for £9000. Just research, don't rely on a university to help you. If you want to get ahead then you'll get ahead. It's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    O rly?

If anything "prestige" would have been a bigger factor back in the day.

And tbf who cares if it's back office or whatever. It's a job. A very well paid job certainly compared to the average wage.
    McDonalds is 'a job' as well. Back office isn't that well paid actually. There's a huge difference between working in front office and working in back office.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    Back office isn't that well paid actually. There's a huge difference between working in front office and working in back office.
    VPs/MDs of DB, UBS and Barclays are paid quite well no matter what their area is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to an ex-poly, got a graduate job, now I'm considered one of the best in the world at what I do.

On the flip side I know plenty of people who went to more prestigious universities and and even now, 6 years on, are still in bar/retail work or in jobs completely unrelated to their degree.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's Sir Nicolas1!

(Kind of highlights it's not the university that makes the difference, it's the individual. )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sir Nicholas with an 'h' actually!

And yes, precisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolas1)
    Anyone out there can explain to me why anyone would fork out £9K a year for an ex-Poly education?
    Maybe they want to be an Engineer and work in Formula One - it's not the RG unis that they recruit from.

I think you need to do a little bit more research into what the 'newer' universities have to offer. Most of them have been unis snce before you were born ..

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how every time someone tries to put down ex-poly unis, they use the lowest ranking ones.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of jobs/career tracks which require a degree now, so if you want to access them you have to get a degree - plenty of them are still accessible with an ex poly degree
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are you being serious?
    Some ex-poly universities are better than some "Russel Group" universities.
    Try and say Bath and St Andrews are not worth the £9000...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeCroissant)
    Are you being serious?
    Some ex-poly universities are better than some "Russel Group" universities.
    Try and say Bath and St Andrews are not worth the £9000...
    Much as I get what you are saying, Bath and St Andrews were never polys. In particular St Andrews was est. 1410...

ReputationRep:
    This is nothing but pompus, elitist crap.

I gained a very high BA and MA from an ex poly university, and have since been awarded a competetive fully-funded PhD Studentship at a top Russell Group research university based solely on my academic merit and comittment to my career. I beat hundreds of applicants, with the likeliness that most of these were Russell Group graduates, including those from the institution itself.

Thankfully, a stellar work ethic and an extremely strong academic track record (regardless of where it's from) prevails when it should, not elitist bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorthernAcademic)
    This is nothing but pompus, elitist crap.
    Welcome to TSR :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    Did your degree in IR from Keele help your own career in IB? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...06&postcount=8

And yet you also seem to be jealous of potential Cambridge postgrads:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...&postcount=660

BTW re "Thanks God the tax payer is no longer footing the bill." who pays for the written-off student loans?

Oh, and re Wolverhampton
    A couple of examples:
    VP at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
    MD at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
    Executive Director at UBS, went to Wolverhampton

At UEL
    VP at Barclays Investment Bank, went to UEL
    High Frequency Engineer at Barclays Capital, went to UEL
    This post was very motivational
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    This post was very motivational
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the person rather than the uni or the degree. I know someone who left Oxford with a first and is now working at McDonalds and someone who left 6th form and is now earning more than most graduates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.