Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Starting year 12, I chose the subjects Biology, Chemistry, Maths and IT and i was looking forward to these subjects as they interest me and based on GCSE I had exceeded all the entry requirements for these courses.

At GCSE I did very well. I got 3A*s, 5A's and 2B's

I been doing very well in IT, getting an A in the Mock and already meeting my targets, due to this being subject thats logic to me.

But Maths and Chemistry I seem to struggle getting E's and D's in the mock. Generally in Maths and Bio I've been getting D's and C's soo far.

Its not like im one of those people who does last minute revision the night before. I spend a lot of time revising all my subjects and preparing for these AS exams. I also go to maths clinic and chemistry clinic in my lunches and after school.

I struggle to apply knowledge to a question and I know I need alot of exam practice about my techniques.

Do you think it is possible for me to get C's or B's at AS? and If so what are you're revision tips? Especially for chemistry?

I dont want to drop any subjects but at the same time I dont want to fail and disappoint my parents let alone myself.

I feel kinda hopeless. What do i do?

ReputationRep:
    You can't change the past, and you aren't going to be able to change how parents evening goes now, so don't dwell on that. Try to keep a more positive attitude. If you want those grades enough then yes you should be capable of pulling them up to at least a C pass by your exams - potentially even higher if you really apply yourself.

How do you presently study for these topics? If you can give us an idea of what you are already doing and we can try to work out why it's not working for you and what might be a more effective way of learning the material.

Personally, I study differently depending on the subject. For maths and chemistry I feel the best way to revise is really to just keep on practicing the questions. Work out the formula for solving each type of question you're given, memorise it, then keep applying those formulas in practice papers. Repetition will definitely help you to improve in areas where calculations are needed.

For biology (and any subject where a huge part of it is simply committing large amounts of information memory) the first thing I do is condense my notes into bullet points / shorthand (highlighting key words as I go) as it's a lot easier to memorise than paragraphs of text. I also use similar colours of pen/highlighters to find links between notes that might help me remember one by thinking of the other, etc, because colour is very important to the way in which I think. e.g. In my cell biology notes below I've used red pen to underline key points; orange to highlight any mentions of the word fluid(ity) as it was coming up a lot; etc.

Spoiler:
    Show

For my upcoming microbiology exam, I've been finding even pages of condensed information a little too intimidating as I've a lot of content to cover with a lot of jargon. So I've been creating posters for a more visual approach and finding it quite helpful. Once again incorporating a lot of colour.

Spoiler:
    Show

After accumulating all of the information I need, I then go through the information section by section and try to commit it to memory by: reading, covering, and then trying to recall what I read. This is a more active way of trying to memorise information than simply reading it. I don't move onto the section until I can repeat it five times over without hesitation. Then I move onto the next section, then the next, and at the end cycle back to the first and repeat the process of trying to force recall knowledge. I won't stop until just looking at the heading of the section is enough to force that recall without looking at any further notes on it. It's what seems to work best for me.

My methods may not work for you, but if you haven't tried them then give them a go.

ReputationRep:
    Currently for maths, its mostly past paper questions whilst for chemistry and biology, in addition to past paper questions, I been making notes and start learning them like a script, but after speaking to my chemistry teacher she suggests i do an extra 30 minutes of past paper questions a week bc the whole script thing wont work for chemistry at a level. So I been doing alot more past paper questions.

And omd, thankyou for the pictures they are soo helpful, thankyou, I think i will try the underlining with a red pen thing and generally incorporate more colour to my revision bc I think just highlighting isn't working for me.

And yep I will definitely try that, I think thats may work better for me, and I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply and adding photos, I really appreciate it and am going to try them now ) and once again thankyouuu

ReputationRep:
    Drop a subject if you are struggling with four.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, hmm there is like less than 4 months away from the AS exams and in that period of time you can get higher than C and B if you work hard. For maths, I suggest you watch examsolution- if you have already then obvs go over the topic the topic that you are struggling with the most. Trust me when I say this, maths is much much easier and you shall deffo aim for B/A in as!! For bio there's a lot of memorising but if you start making notes now and finish them early, by the time the exam comes all you'll have to do is revisit your notes and it'll make life a lot easier since your are reviewing something you've already learnt; it's not like you'll be seeing them for the first time. When making notes for bio, make sure you 'understand' rather than just copy down bla bla.

And good luck with your studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omd thankyou! And I definitely will aim high especially in maths. and yep I've already been making notes for both bio and chem but its now a case of making them more concise and making sure I know them properly and yep I will deffa do that and thankyou!!

Thankyou for being soo kind an taking the time to reply back, with really helpful advice i really appreciate it )))))

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.