Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I the only guy who doesn't see the point in having female friends Watch

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's a "Friend with benefits".

It's not that I hate women or think they are bad company, it's just that I have a tendency of developing a sexual attraction with every female I talk to, except family members. That's how it's always been for me in the past. Unless, she has some friends that are potential dates for me, I don't see the point in hanging out with her.

Even though I'm bi, there are just a few guys that can turn me on, and they're mostly kemp/feminine, but when it comes to women my sexual brain has almost no filter.

The worst part is when they're not single and I am, their boyfriends' references make me feel like I'm missing out on dating opportunites and wasting my time.

Also, it's not like I can talk to them about anything like sports or dating advice(one dating advice I got from a girl was to be the "chase",when the only "chases" I know are guys with high social status) .

ReputationRep:
    No don't worry. I have a gf and many male friends but I don't have female friends anymore.

Yes there is always the risk of one having feelings for the other. It happens quite often indeed. And even without that it's just different. They don't share the same hobbies as me while most guys do.

ReputationRep:
    50% ish of the population must have quite a few people that can be your friend. if you happen to want a sexual relation with all of them that is your fault

ReputationRep:
    Learn how to control yourself you cringey McLovin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    .. if you happen to want a sexual relation with all of them that is your fault
    That's what I'm trying to say, I'm not blaming anyone for anything, the least I can do is work with them or exchange stuff with them and I'm willing to respect them as regular people, but as far as seeing them as equal to my guy friends, it just doesn't seem right for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conkerr)
    No don't worry. I have a gf and many male friends but I don't have female friends anymore.

Yes there is always the risk of one having feelings for the other. It happens quite often indeed. And even without that it's just different. They don't share the same hobbies as me while most guys do.
    That's what I mean, when I'm making friends with someone, the things I'm more likely to talk about as a single guy is my dating problems, I can't do that with women coz I've started to understand that women don't know the struggles of dating for guys or how to overcome them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Then maybe that's your issue of falling for every one of your female friends?

It is possible, it's just a matter of not getting too attached to them.

ReputationRep:
    If that's how it isn't for you then I agree, you shouldn't have female friends.
    But not all men are like you. I have a best friend who is male and sexually speaking we both are grossed out about each other but friendship worked out perfectly for us.
    You can't make such généraliséd comments about ALL males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)

It's not that I hate women or think they are bad company, it's just that I have a tendency of developing a sexual attraction with every female I talk to, except family members. That's how it's always been for me in the past. Unless, she has some friends that are potential dates for me, I don't see the point in hanging out with her.

Even though I'm bi, there are just a few guys that can turn me on, and they're mostly kemp/feminine, but when it comes to women my sexual brain has almost no filter.

The worst part is when they're not single and I am, their boyfriends' references make me feel like I'm missing out on dating opportunites and wasting my time.

Also, it's not like I can talk to them about anything like sports or dating advice(one dating advice I got from a girl was to be the "chase",when the only "chases" I know are guys with high social status) .
    I'm a girl and when I talk to a guy I either see him as a brother or as a potential person to date. Friendship will always generate some sort of feelings and you want to suppress it but it becomes hard so I don't put myself in such situations.

ReputationRep:
    I've had several good female friends over the years. Some of them I even fancied initially, but after you've been friends with them for a while the idea of getting with them would just feel weird.

You can talk to them about relationship and dating stuff to get a girl's perspective, as girls generally know how other girls work better than guys do.
    You can get them to help you clothes-shop.
    A lot of them have single friends and they can put in a good word for you - throughout my life, I've had several relationships with friends of friends.
    There have also been numerous times where I was attending a social event where everyone was partnered up but I wasn't, and a female friend always served as a +1 in such scenarios.
    Some of my female friends of the past have been people who I'd just laugh and laugh with the whole time I'm with them as well. Guys and girls can share similar sense of humour, which is key to any great friendship.

The list of good reasons to have a close female friend goes on really, those are just off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    If that's how it isn't for you then I agree, you shouldn't have female friends.
    But not all men are like you. I have a best friend who is male and sexually speaking we both are grossed out about each other but friendship worked out perfectly for us.
    You can't make such généraliséd comments about ALL males.
    He's only speaking for himself lol

ReputationRep:
    Even if I ignore your incredibly offensive premise (women are more then just boobs, you know?), the fact is that being actual friends who support each other, and act in a supportive manner, is actually a great way to find someone. Furthermore, even if you don't end up with someone, they can still greatly contribute towards your life in different ways, and you can contribute to theirs.

Our biology makes us eager to find people - that's not just a male thing, it's a human thing, but we have evolved beyond our basic biological instincts. Thus, you can maybe try to move past that and try to see these girls for people they actually are, not just potential partners that you make them out to be.

ReputationRep:
    I only have 2 males friends - and they're both gay!

got tired of having straight male 'friends' as they were never actually friends, to me they were. to them i was their potential... and they always made it known.

ReputationRep:
    You are most likely not the only one, but I have plenty of both female and male friends, and I'm bi too.
    Guess it's just your personality.

ReputationRep:
    Having friendships with sexual feelings can lead to some great banter and humour. Perhaps you need to be in a committed relationship before you can make female friends… I know a few girls that will at least pretend to care about football, baseball, hockey and tennis just to talk lol. I think if you can create and folllow boundaries then it's a lot easier and after awhile you'll feel weird for thinking about them sexually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)

You are less likely to be successful dating wise if you can't be friends with women. Most people who are in relationships will tell you that their partner is like their "best friend" and boyfriend/girlfriend rolled into one. Relationships aren't just about sexual attraction, but if you can't even develop or maintain friendships with the opposite sex and only want them as "friends with benefits", then I'm afraid in my opinion I think the issue lies with you. Unless you are trolling, you could try actually meeting some women with likeminded interests and getting to know them.

Women can talk to you about sports, so I dont know what that stereotypical, slightly sexist comment at the end was about. Try and meet some women who can talk to you about stuff and you dont view as purely sexual or a potential lay. It will actually help you get laid to be able to have conversations with women in the first place..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.