Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I am just doing some social research and wondered if you guys could help me think of the kinds of people you want to avoid at university.

For example, I was a free-loaded in my first attempt of 2nd year, but then I re-did 2nd year and did all the work myself. I was also a waster for 2nd year, just enjoying working a part-time job as the money along side student loans was amazing but I clearly didn't think of the long-term goals!

I currently have:

Cheapskates - The people who will eat your food, drink your alcohol and never pay you back! Money is so tight as a student as it is, so keep your friends close but your penny's even closer!

Free-riders - The people who sit back in group work and let the rest do the work or those who casually ask to have a peek at your essay or yano, send it to them entirely...

Wasters - To be clear, nothing against having a good time at Uni and enjoying the life. But there are people who think they're from an episode of skins ... They're free to use their time at university as they wish but avoid being dragged into wasting your time too!

Doubters/Negatrons - Those who are the type to say "getting a 2:1 is better than a first as it shows employers you had fun at university and did other things" - No, discussing to the employer what things you did outside of university shows you did other things, if you got a First along side that, great! This could also be considered to those at University who actually say "university is pointless" although they are minor. Ultimately, avoiding people who bring you down is a must.

High-School Children - Those who haven't quite grown up yet and still think towards the social rules of school/6th form. Those who believe they 'must go on a night out' because it is what is expected and god-forbid any individualism.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I feel like its a rant but it isn't I kinda laughed to myself and I really find this conversation funny when discussing with others. Usually because we all fall into a category at one point.

ReputationRep:
    Drug dealers just no

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jonathanemptage;69979092]Drug dealers just noQUOTE]

Hahaha! Surprised me how many students were dealers ... I think that one goes without saying!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that this sort of person also fits into several other categories, but the "future dropouts" are a tiny but easily recognisable minority. These are the people who you can tell from Day 1 aren't committed (or dare I say smart!) enough for the degree, and live "on the edge" academically: never turning up to seminars, never doing the readings, delivering assignments ultra late with some cheap appeal to sympathy in the place of an excuse, and generally disappearing from sight for days or weeks at a time. One of these disappearances is bound to be longer than the others, and that's when you know that they've simply dropped out and gone home without telling anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Ones who talk about wanting to land a job with good exit opportunities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.