Do you have to pay to do an apprenticeship when your over 24?

Watch
dinosaurqueen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Or does the employer pay for you? Just wondering.
dinosaurqueen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Bump
mjpd2019
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dinosaurqueen)
Bump
An individual should never have to pay for the learning side of an apprenticeship.

Currently employers are unlikely to get funding for apprentices 24+ but many will not be put off by this fact (Network Rail and Civil Service are just two that spring to mind)

From May, apprenticeship funding rules are changing, and employers will no longer be "penalised" financially if they recruit more mature apprentices.
Instead it will all be based upon the highest level of qualification an apprentice has achieved previously. So if you're on a level 4 apprenticeship (1st year degree equivalent) and your previous highest academics were level 2 (GCSE) the employer would get full funding. If your previous highest academics were a level 6 (degree) and you were studying a level 4, the employer wouldn't get funding unless it could be shown that it was necessary for "re-training" due to significant differences in knowledge and skills
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You shouldn't be charged for your apprenticeship. Your employer should cover costs, that's why you're on a reduced wage, because they're investing the rest in your training.
It'll probably be easier to get accepted by a big company, because they're less reliant on the government support than smaller companies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads