Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Sixth Form get better than Secondary School? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Care to share your experience?

ReputationRep:
    I made better friends in sixth form, but the work was a lot harder. It didnt help that i hated had my subjects

ReputationRep:
    No it gets harder and the days longer!

If this sounds daunting i suggest a Level 3 BTEC course which can still get you to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Im prepared for the workload at GCSEs I've been lazy but its been a lesson to me to do the work as I go along for A-Levels.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Popsiclez)
    Care to share your experience?
    Depends what you mean by better and what your experience of secondary school was. If you are doing A levels. then its harder work and more of it, but its in the subjects you like and have an aptitude for. teachers will treat you more like a grown up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    positives - free lessons, can leave school during frees (different to each school), relaxing of rules as oppose to secondary school (different to each school again)

negatives - use those frees for your own good, people aren't much more mature compared to lets say college perhaps, 1 subject feels like taking 3 gcses, you get mental breakdowns now and again, deadline always chasing you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure tbh. Like I've ended up with more friends and freedom and developed more as a person...

but at what cost?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather get shot in my head while doing my physics multiple choice questions...Now back to physicsandmathstutor

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at my secondary school for sixth form and they have this annoying uniform rule and you can't leave during your frees (I have one, so it doesn't bother me as much).

It's like secondary school except tougher and everyone is slightly older and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I massively preferred Sixth Form to Secondary, it'll really come down to what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the experience is going to be quite different depending on the specific sixth form.

For me, the best thing is the free periods. I don't really know why but it honestly feels like I do no work at all... I have 2 or 3 lessons a day and then spend the rest of my time with my friends on the computers looking at memes/googling celebrities/generally wasting time (not that I recommend doing this!!). Sometimes I honestly wonder why I bother going lol. I don't think I've ever solidly worked/revised through a free period in my entire life.

I'm getting good grades while doing this but who knows, maybe I'll end up regretting not revising 24/7. Of course, for some people the workload does get significantly harder during sixth form, but try and embrace all the positive aspects too. You get treated like an adult, the free periods are awesome and you have the opportunity to really focus in on the subjects you're really interested in.

ReputationRep:
    All I'm saying is that sixth form made me realise that growing up is a trap. Enjoy your stress free youth.

Spoiler:
    Show

But in all honesty, the hard work in which you start in the beginning will pay off. It won't be easy but it will be worth it

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and this may just be me, but having more free periods and having to start considering uni made my existential crisis rate go from 1 every 2 weeks to about 5 in a week. Having constant lessons like I did during GCSE kind of distracted me from general life but sitting in the sixth form centre basically doing nothing all day forces you to think about things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I'm really not sure tbh. Like I've ended up with more friends and freedom and developed more as a person...

but at what cost?
    That was so poetic

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion I much prefer sixth form over secondary school. Although I do miss some aspects of school such as my friends, the smaller workload and those lessons where you got to do nothing for an hour, the atmosphere and the fact that you're actually treated like your own age in sixth form makes it a lot better. Yes, the workload is very hard to manage sometimes but as long as you stay on top of it, be organised and pick subjects that you love then sixth form is great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.