Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So if it's a 12 mark essay that should be equivalent to 6 A01 and 6 A03 right?

I think I understand how the knowledge marks work, but I was watching a video on how examiners are meant to mark, and the example essays only had 1 strength and 1 weakness for 12 mark questions? My teacher says that for 12 mark essays we need 6 A03, which are 3 separate strengths and 3 separate weaknesses.

So, which is right?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year of A level doing psychology and how we did our AO3 was we either write fown 6 brief evaluation points or write 3/4 and expand on them with lots of detail. Tbh i think examiners would prefer longer answers where you expand because you're more likely to get the marks there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habeebah)
    I'm in my second year of A level doing psychology and how we did our AO3 was we either write fown 6 brief evaluation points or write 3/4 and expand on them with lots of detail. Tbh i think examiners would prefer longer answers where you expand because you're more likely to get the marks there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher (I'm in A2) has always emphasised depth for evaluation rather than breadth. Better to go into detail on three or four points that make a lot of very brief ones. The latter doesn't really demonstrate you being able to understand or critically analyse the point you're making or theory you're evaluating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMightyAugur)
    My teacher (I'm in A2) has always emphasised depth for evaluation rather than breadth. Better to go into detail on three or four points that make a lot of very brief ones. The latter doesn't really demonstrate you being able to understand or critically analyse the point you're making or theory you're evaluating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. Also, for 16 mark questions they require application marks. What does this mean if they don't give a situation or something in the question we're meant to reference? Does this just mean application of the theory in real life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    Thank you. Also, for 16 mark questions they require application marks. What does this mean if they don't give a situation or something in the question we're meant to reference? Does this just mean application of the theory in real life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    16 markers are split 6 marks for AO1 and 10 for AO3. If it's contextualised then it's usually split 6 AO1, 4 AO2 and 6 AO3 based on the example papers from AQA. But just normal 16 mark questions are split 6 and 10. For you're evaluation you just talk in more depth and make one or two extra points...

You do know as well that you can get contextualised 12 mark questions by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    16 markers are split 6 marks for AO1 and 10 for AO3. If it's contextualised then it's usually split 6 AO1, 4 AO2 and 6 AO3 based on the example papers from AQA. But just normal 16 mark questions are split 6 and 10. For you're evaluation you just talk in more depth and make one or two extra points...

You do know as well that you can get contextualised 12 mark questions by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For contextualised 12 mark questions would that mean 6 A01, 2 A02 and 4 A03?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    For contextualised 12 mark questions would that mean 6 A01, 2 A02 and 4 A03?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't remember because I never got one in my AS exam but I have a feeling it's 5-2-5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember because I never got one in my AS exam but I have a feeling it's 5-2-5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.