Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a sore patch/cut on my bum, has anyone had this? Watch

I'm female and I've got like a red sore right near the top of my buttock crease, it's red and I first noticed it in the shower last night the water made it sting so I had a look using a mirror and it's like a cut about a cm in length. I googled it and pilodinal cyst came up. I hope it's not this as it said that surgery is likely recommended and I've never had a general anasthetic I have a huge phobia of them. I'm scared to go to the go firstly because it only looks like a small cut/insignificant and secondly because I'd be reluctant to have surgery anyway. Has anyone had this? It's location is where the crease of the buttocks start at the lower back, just 1 and half to 2 inches below this.

Also I want to go for a run today but am not sure if it's a good idea if it was cause sweat/bacteria to get around it etc.

ReputationRep:
    Has nobody ever told you not to google stuff unless you actually want to terrify yourself?
    But seriously, just go to your GP and get it looked at if you're worried.

ReputationRep:
    put some e45 or some antiseptic on it and keep it dry if possible. docs if it looks bad

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Just thought I'd post on this as at the beginning of last year I noticed exactly what you described and went to get it checked by a series of doctors each telling me it was something different until finally I got the diagnosis of Pilonidal sinus.
    Annoyingly I got the diagnosis in America and so I had to wait until I was back in the UK to get it treated, however it was just small and 'inactive' in America anyway so it wasn't that painful and wasn't like an urgent problem haha.
    I then saw a surgeon in the UK and they said they could fit me in at Christmas to have it removed to not interfere with uni. So this Christmas I had an operation and got it out and it was all sorted.
    If you have it, it's up to you whether you want to live with it or not, many people don't want an operation and so just live with it. Have in mind though that it is likely to flare up and swell into a massive puss filled sac that may be very painful but sometimes this can only happen very rarely and otherwise you'll just have a little lump that won't be that uncomfortable. There is a risk that it might flare up in an inconvenient time or place and you'd have to rush to get it lanced and you might not be near a hospital etc so this is why I got it done.
    I can completely understand why you don't want to have a general anaesthetic. I had to have another operation before this one that was extremely traumatic and so I was absolutely petrified of the prospect of having to have another one and didn't think I would go through with it. However on operation day everything was done so well and honestly it's such a small operation that it's really not that bad. It's really not very painful afterwards either you just have to sit down on a special cushion for a few days/lie on your side etc.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT read all the horror stories on line about this condition. It used to be a very poorly treated condition and so you are bound to come across horrible pictures of people with large parts of their flesh being removed and left to heal from the inside after the operation( so they wake up with an open wound) . The they will talk about how their Pilonidal sinus came back despite the operation etc and how it has ruined their life etc. This is the open excision procedure and is not great and is being phased out. If you decide on surgery get the 'cleft lift' procedure. It's minimally invasive and honestly I don't know anyone who has had it who has had any future problems with Pilonidal sinuses. Honestly , it's up to you but it's really not that much of a big deal at all and you have nothing to worry about. I was so worried about having the operation but the operation was tiny with no pain and now I don't have the bump anymore and I don't have to worry about it ever flaring up.
    If you were to get a diagnosis of this (unlikely as it could be just a cut tbh) I understand that it's annoying , and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me
    Just wanted to add that it's very possible/likely that you haven't got a Pilonidal sinus at all . As others are saying, go along to a GP and see what they think

ReputationRep:
    I've had something similar but that was from wiping too much. Putting some Sudocrem on it worked wonders.

As said above, don't search everything up, 99% of the time it'll be cancerous according to Dr Google.

(Original post by Aspiringlawyerr)
    Hey
    Just thought I'd post on this as at the beginning of last year I noticed exactly what you described and went to get it checked by a series of doctors each telling me it was something different until finally I got the diagnosis of Pilonidal sinus.
    Annoyingly I got the diagnosis in America and so I had to wait until I was back in the UK to get it treated, however it was just small and 'inactive' in America anyway so it wasn't that painful and wasn't like an urgent problem haha.
    I then saw a surgeon in the UK and they said they could fit me in at Christmas to have it removed to not interfere with uni. So this Christmas I had an operation and got it out and it was all sorted.
    If you have it, it's up to you whether you want to live with it or not, many people don't want an operation and so just live with it. Have in mind though that it is likely to flare up and swell into a massive puss filled sac that may be very painful but sometimes this can only happen very rarely and otherwise you'll just have a little lump that won't be that uncomfortable. There is a risk that it might flare up in an inconvenient time or place and you'd have to rush to get it lanced and you might not be near a hospital etc so this is why I got it done.
    I can completely understand why you don't want to have a general anaesthetic. I had to have another operation before this one that was extremely traumatic and so I was absolutely petrified of the prospect of having to have another one and didn't think I would go through with it. However on operation day everything was done so well and honestly it's such a small operation that it's really not that bad. It's really not very painful afterwards either you just have to sit down on a special cushion for a few days/lie on your side etc.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT read all the horror stories on line about this condition. It used to be a very poorly treated condition and so you are bound to come across horrible pictures of people with large parts of their flesh being removed and left to heal from the inside after the operation( so they wake up with an open wound) . The they will talk about how their Pilonidal sinus came back despite the operation etc and how it has ruined their life etc. This is the open excision procedure and is not great and is being phased out. If you decide on surgery get the 'cleft lift' procedure. It's minimally invasive and honestly I don't know anyone who has had it who has had any future problems with Pilonidal sinuses. Honestly , it's up to you but it's really not that much of a big deal at all and you have nothing to worry about. I was so worried about having the operation but the operation was tiny with no pain and now I don't have the bump anymore and I don't have to worry about it ever flaring up.
    If you were to get a diagnosis of this (unlikely as it could be just a cut tbh) I understand that it's annoying , and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me
    Just wanted to add that it's very possible/likely that you haven't got a Pilonidal sinus at all . As others are saying, go along to a GP and see what they think
    Hi, thanks for taking the time and effort to share this, it's reassuring to know that even in the worse case it's not a major problem so thanks. If it does turn out to be pilodinal cyst I'l certainly refer to this post and take your advice when considering the surgery etc, I won't read the horror stories ha. I think I'l give it a few days and see how it goes (maybe put sudocreme on it) and if it persists or gets worse I'l see the gp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, thanks for taking the time and effort to share this, it's reassuring to know that even in the worse case it's not a major problem so thanks. If it does turn out to be pilodinal cyst I'l certainly refer to this post and take your advice when considering the surgery etc, I won't read the horror stories ha. I think I'l give it a few days and see how it goes (maybe put sudocreme on it) and if it persists or gets worse I'l see the gp.
    That's fine haha I was so worried before so I feel like I have a duty to tell people that's it's really not bad at all even if in the worse case you do have it. Hope everything goes well for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.