The Student Room Group

I cant decide what module to do

option 1.

- will mean two exams in summer. This may be an issue as the way my uni tuns its semester, its hard to revise. Teaching weeks finish then straight to exams. its hard to revise during the run up as you are in lectures learning new things but you need to go home and revise old stuff. (also other commitments)

- increased work load

+ this module may be beneficial for the future. Its practical (however I dont want to go into this area, but it just opens doors up)

option 2.

+ loads of girls lol and my crush does it - but yeah university is about much more than work. It about personal improvement, developing soft skills such as communication

+ just an assignment, leaving me with one exam in summer. Better chance of an overall degree classification

+ on the face of it a straight forward module, if you put the time and effort in, you will do well.

- very little relevance in future (quite an important point). Dont think this module will at all help
Reply 1
so you'd have to work harder for the first one and it wouldn't even really benefit? Do you 100% know what you want to do in the future cause if you do and its not what the first module will help in, I don't really see the point of doing a difficult but irrelevant module
Reply 2
Well pick the one that's going to benefit you more then. Put in the extra effort and the increased workload wouldn't be an issue.

Dunno why you put your crush as a positive point lol, surely you weren't thinking of picking it just to see her?
Reply 3
Original post by Kiimii
so you'd have to work harder for the first one and it wouldn't even really benefit? Do you 100% know what you want to do in the future cause if you do and its not what the first module will help in, I don't really see the point of doing a difficult but irrelevant module

I dont know 100% what I want to do right now. Yes it will be hard work, especially with another exam. But its a practical module, 5 years down the line someone could come and ask me, do you know anything about xxx. I can go yes. But as you can tell this is really vague and a small chance
Reply 4
Original post by freedom
I dont know 100% what I want to do right now. Yes it will be hard work, especially with another exam. But its a practical module, 5 years down the line someone could come and ask me, do you know anything about xxx. I can go yes. But as you can tell this is really vague and a small chance

maybe it would be better to go for it then, even if it is harder work at least the reward is better too

you can always meet up with you crush outside of class :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Well pick the one that's going to benefit you more then. Put in the extra effort and the increased workload wouldn't be an issue.

Dunno why you put your crush as a positive point lol, surely you weren't thinking of picking it just to see her?

was just a little joke lol

If i pick option one, the problem is may overall grades may be affected. I will have 3 weeks to revise two exams, but the thing lectures will be still one, so I will have to learn new material too and also travelling to uni etc. it will be difficult to pull off. I could also have a awkward assignment deadline in the middle. (happened to a friend last year, and he knew he would not do so all in all three modules).

if this module was in Christmas, there is a 4 week holiday, which means 4 weeks of just focused revision. There would be no impact on my grade.
Reply 6
Original post by Kiimii
maybe it would be better to go for it then, even if it is harder work at least the reward is better too

you can always meet up with you crush outside of class :wink:

only negative is that other grades may be impacted badly, and option 1 just has a likely hood of being helpful, its not a dead cert.
Option 2 tbh, not like you're gonna remember or need most of the info on your degree when you start working

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by freedom
only negative is that other grades may be impacted badly, and option 1 just has a likely hood of being helpful, its not a dead cert.

Which ones more important to you, the possibility that you'll get a higher grades, or the possibility you'll need the module in the future?
Reply 9
Original post by Kiimii
Which ones more important to you, the possibility that you'll get a higher grades, or the possibility you'll need the module in the future?

That's the main question. If I don't get a 2.1 his year my degree is useless. So therefore the module will never come in use
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
Option 2 tbh, not like you're gonna remember or need most of the info on your degree when you start working

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are right. I had a word with the lecturer and option 1. They use the same core book as last years modules. So I don't think we will learn anything new
Reply 11
If you're planning to go into a Masters/PhD and Option 1 is directly relevant, it might still be worth considering. Although there's always the (probably better) option of tailoring your dissertation/third year project to address that. Otherwise, Option 2 seems the best. You need to be looking at getting the best possible overall degree grade, so follow the percentages. Outside postgrad study, few employers will be interested in the detail of what you studied at uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Klix88
If you're planning to go into a Masters/PhD and Option 1 is directly relevant, it might still be worth considering. Although there's always the (probably better) option of tailoring your dissertation/third year project to address that. Otherwise, Option 2 seems the best. You need to be looking at getting the best possible overall degree grade, so follow the percentages. Outside postgrad study, few employers will be interested in the detail of what you studied at uni.

I dont plan doing on doing a masters.

Ive looked at the module Option 1. It uses the same text book as a 2nd year modules. I am gonna guess that the content is very similar if not the same. Its more applying to a business world rather than theory.

I think this has swayed me to do option 2.

Quick Reply

Latest