Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Workplace advice for people who are new to a job Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently started a new job and admittedly it wasn't what I expected - in a good way. Like I thought it would be quite hard, overwhelming and tedious as the job description was quite vague. I asked the interviewers about the job and they said that most of the people in the office were graduates and that the job itself can be exciting. I didn't really believe them much as I thought it was in their best interest to sell themselves and I thought they were overselling it.

Anyways, this new job is in my field, i.e ICT - but the job itself isn't directly related to say software development or support. The good thing is that it is temporary and it will help me boost my non-technical skills and bring a source of income.

The thing is, for some reason I feel that my line manager does not really like me much and does not take me as seriously as some of the others who joined me at the same time. Also, there are a lot of young people in my office and I feel I may have unintentionally said things I should not have such as the fact that I go to the gym a lot and dance. Some people find me annoying but I don't get it - I don't talk a lot now.

What advice can you give to someone working in an office? Can be anything such as not flirting with girls for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    I recently started a new job and admittedly it wasn't what I expected - in a good way. Like I thought it would be quite hard, overwhelming and tedious as the job description was quite vague. I asked the interviewers about the job and they said that most of the people in the office were graduates and that the job itself can be exciting. I didn't really believe them much as I thought it was in their best interest to sell themselves and I thought they were overselling it.

Anyways, this new job is in my field, i.e ICT - but the job itself isn't directly related to say software development or support. The good thing is that it is temporary and it will help me boost my non-technical skills and bring a source of income.

The thing is, for some reason I feel that my line manager does not really like me much and does not take me as seriously as some of the others who joined me at the same time. Also, there are a lot of young people in my office and I feel I may have unintentionally said things I should not have such as the fact that I go to the gym a lot and dance. Some people find me annoying but I don't get it - I don't talk a lot now.

What advice can you give to someone working in an office? Can be anything such as not flirting with girls for example
    Observe, observe, observe. Observe what people wear, observe what time they arrive/leave, oobserve whether they like to work in silence or chat whilst working e.c.t and then you can see what you need to do to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Observe, observe, observe. Observe what people wear, observe what time they arrive/leave, oobserve whether they like to work in silence or chat whilst working e.c.t and then you can see what you need to do to fit in.
    Yeah I have been doing just that. It seems that my workplace is a bit relaxed and laid back - well that is how I feel anyways. There is plenty of work to get on with, but at the same time I am not overwhelmed. I can get help quite easily from people. It seems that the people working there are quite laid back and quite a lot of them do talk. Some even go out a lot and some even go around the office talking to everyone - but for them it is ok as they have been there for over a year or so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.