Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Revision hours per day 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Current 2017 GCSE students-How many hours do you revise in a day? When did you start revising?
    Straight A* students- Revision tips, hours you revised per day and when you started revising?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm aiming for all A stars and to be honest, I don't know what to do with myself. I've been told that you should start revising now but I just can't get myself to study.And the worst part is I am aware how important this is. SO i need advice as well.
    For all my exams so far I've been cramming the day before for most subjects and I've somehow managed to get A stars in them but regardless, i think that quality revision is much more important than quantity. So it's not really about the amount of hours you revise, its about how long you areable to stay focussd .Also,instead of procrastinating by going on social media or something, just move on to a new subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi @Smarties<3 and bluepearl7,

I'm actually a first year university student, and admittedly I didn't gain any A*s at GCSE. However, based on my own GCSE and A Level experiences, I can offer some advice which will hopefully be useful to you:
    • Get a copy of the specification for each of your subjects, so you know exactly what you need to learn
    • Make your revision notes early, using the specifications for guidance, ideally as you are going along
    • Ensure you leave yourself plenty of time to revise them before the exams!
    • Attempt past papers under timed conditions if you can - doing this helps you to identify topics you're least confident on and also gets you familiar with the layout and style of questions in the exam
    • Ask your teachers for help if you're unsure about any of the content, if you don't understand something early on in a topic then it may hinder your understanding of the rest of it
    • Consider creating a revision timetable for yourself. Make a list of the topics you want to revise each day and then learn them. I don't recommend trying to revise during specific times or doing a certain number of hours, that can just prove to be more stressful and you probably won't be able to stick to it for long
    • Minimise distractions - turn off your phone, laptop etc, unless you need them for internet research or typing up your notes, find a quiet location to work where you won't be disturbed by family members, etc

Bluepearl7 is exactly right in that it's the quality of your revision which matters, rather than the quantity. If the material for one subject/topic isn't going in, take a break or switch to a new topic, then go back to the problem topic later.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi @Smarties<3 and bluepearl7,

I'm actually a first year university student, and admittedly I didn't gain any A*s at GCSE. However, based on my own GCSE and A Level experiences, I can offer some advice which will hopefully be useful to you:
    • Get a copy of the specification for each of your subjects, so you know exactly what you need to learn
    • Make your revision notes early, using the specifications for guidance, ideally as you are going along
    • Ensure you leave yourself plenty of time to revise them before the exams!
    • Attempt past papers under timed conditions if you can - doing this helps you to identify topics you're least confident on and also gets you familiar with the layout and style of questions in the exam
    • Ask your teachers for help if you're unsure about any of the content, if you don't understand something early on in a topic then it may hinder your understanding of the rest of it
    • Consider creating a revision timetable for yourself. Make a list of the topics you want to revise each day and then learn them. I don't recommend trying to revise during specific times or doing a certain number of hours, that can just prove to be more stressful and you probably won't be able to stick to it for long
    • Minimise distractions - turn off your phone, laptop etc, unless you need them for internet research or typing up your notes, find a quiet location to work where you won't be disturbed by family members, etc

Bluepearl7 is exactly right in that it's the quality of your revision which matters, rather than the quantity. If the material for one subject/topic isn't going in, take a break or switch to a new topic, then go back to the problem topic later.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much.Those tips are really useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    Thank you so much.Those tips are really useful!
    You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.