Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It depends which universities you're considering going to, but out of the options you've given, biology and further maths are sometimes considered stronger subjects than RS and psychology, as biology and further maths are considered A List subjects, whilst RS and psychology are often not. Maths, Chem, Bio and FM is a very strong combination and would allow you to do any maths related course at uni or medicine/sciences too! If you're really wanting an essay based subject, maybe choose one like history or english? However, if you want to do maths/science at uni you don't even need 1 essay based subject, so unless you're considering doing something arts based at history, don't worry about an essay subject.

ReputationRep:
    Do subjects you really enjoy studying for a levels it will make coping with them easier. Don't feel pressured into choosing specific subjects because of uni courses which you might change your mind about anyway.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillyfish01)
    I want to do maths and chemistry at a level. Decided I don't want to do biology. I hate physics and I'm not sure if I should do further maths because it seems like physics and I don't really like physics
    I don't like Physics either. I do Further Maths and even the Mechanics I like as it is just the Maths side

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Do you do maths a level aswell?
    You literally can not do Further Maths without Maths so yeah

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah I just realised how stupid the question was. Doesn't unis see further maths as the same as maths, so not its own a level?
    Absolutely not; Further Maths is seen as very valuable for a lot of courses

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Can I tempt you towards history?

Only consider it if you are able to;
    A: live and breathe history (throw yourself into the subject)
    B: If you slightly enjoy essay writing (2x 2hr30 exams, you've got to make the most of your time)
    C: If you can form opinions quickly on a topic based on a given title (helps in the exams, definitely)

ReputationRep:
    Is it really hard? Is it like physics?
    The Mechanics modules are similar to Physics, however, I actually like Mechanics and never really enjoyed Physics. Of course it is harder than just doing single Maths but I love it

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like history. I chose it as one of my GCSEs options and I don't really enjoy it. I mean it is interesting but not really my kind of subject. Im just hoping to get an A in it.
    OK, well I understand- I wish you the best of luck with your future!
    Maths and Chemistry are good, solid choices

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I might do further maths as my third a level then. I hope it isn't too hard to learn. My year has the number gcse for maths and English, and I know I could've gotten an A* in maths but now I might get a 7, an 8 of I'm lucky. 9 is just way too high.
    I wonder what I should do for my fourth subject. I've thought about rs, but I'd hate debating, economics but not really clear on what they do there, psychology seems interesting. I don't want my subjects to be really narrow since I'm picking maths, further maths and chemistry
    I'm in Year 12 currently and want to study Computer Science (hopefully at Cambridge)

I do:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Computer Science
    French

For your fourth subject, pick something you will enjoy the most; you're unlikely to have unis complaining about a 4th subject

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What do you do in computer science? Is it fun
    Well obviously I am going to like it as I did it at GCSE and want to study it at university! Most of my class is planning to drop it after this year but I love it!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do it at GCSE but there was only a few others who wanted to do it. Do you just do programming, or loads of theory?
    The majority is theory (only 20% coursework)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.