The Student Room Group

What if I don't get my grades?

I have an offer for Loughborough to do Sport & Exercise Psychology but it's AAB. If I don't get the grades what are the chances they'll still consider me? I don't think my other (lower) offers are right for me so don't want to accept them but I'm anxious about being left with nothing on the day.
Reply 1
It depends what you get if you do end up getting lower, and how competitive the course is
you can set loughborough as your firm and have another with lower requirements as your insurance
At the risk of stressing you out, it is unlikely they will let you in. University grade requirements are part to do with how hard the degree is and part to do with how popular the course is. Simply put the AAB requirement is to reduce the number of people even able to apply for the course.

Take a good look at the lower grade options and choose the best fit for you to put in as a second choice. I didn't even get an offer from my first choice uni when I applied! It was devastating at the time but I ended up absolutely loving where I went to uni in the end (Bath). This is because that is was where I met all my friends and made great memories. Friends who missed out on their firm choice also have the same feeling now that we've all graduated.

If you miss out on the grades and ultimately decide you have to go to Loughborough, take a year out, retake your exams and try again.
Reply 3
Original post by EliasF
I have an offer for Loughborough to do Sport & Exercise Psychology but it's AAB. If I don't get the grades what are the chances they'll still consider me? I don't think my other (lower) offers are right for me so don't want to accept them but I'm anxious about being left with nothing on the day.

It depends on how well other offer holders also do on results day, amongst other things.

Universities sometimes accept up to a 2 grade miss, but not always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EliasF

Ring them up and ask them.

Explain that you're worried about hitting the grades and want to understand if they accept applicants with lower grades onto that course normally (and if so what they take into account to prioritise applicants).

They'll either be clear "we never/rarely accept lower grades " (in which case use the time you have now to visit your other choices to find a good insurance choice) or they'll tell you if you have a chance (in which case still visit your other choices to find a good insurance choice).

Lots of applicants miss their offers and still get accepted (tens of thousands) but it does vary depending on the course and the university. That's why you have an insurance choice. Look at which universities offer accommodation to insurance students (either guaranteed or if not ask how many get a place normally).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending