Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm 17 and there's this girl and we used to be quite good friends but then I started to fancy her and now I feel like we've drifted apart as I'm now so nervous around her. I'll even sometimes avoid taking to her because I'm so scared. I only really see her on a couple of days of the week and I don't text her or anything like that outside of school. Also, all of her friends seen really nice (especially 3 of them that I share lessons with) but because I know that we couldn't be anything more than friends I just don't put any effort into conversion with them as I just can't be bothered, even though I really like them (but as friends, nothing more). In fact, I really struggle to hold a conversation with anyone as I don't know what to talk about half of the time. I try and listen to other peoples conversations to get ideas of what to say but it all just sounds like a load of s**t. Please help me😀

I am also going through similar phase except that i have accepted the fact that i dont want to become social or that being unsocial is a bad thing b/c its better then listening to some load of crap
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Try threading, if they say "yeah, I went to America", you could "what did you do in America" or "what made you go to America".

Try to fill the silences with "I see", "go on", "tell me more".

Ask about their lives, their hobbies, ambitions, what their plans are, what they did over the weekend, their plans for later, current affairs etc.

ReputationRep:
    getting pissed usually helped me with my shyness. or you could simply get them slightly pissed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.