Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Field Based Graduate Jobs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently a BA Business Management Student doing an Internship that is loosely based around Sales Research. I will go back to do my final year this Sept.

I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to do a desk based job. I am sick of staying in the same place 9 till 5, 5 days a week.

So I look to do a field based job where I can choose when to come into the office or even work at home when I'm not on the road. Or just open flexibility to work at my own pace.

But here's the catch. I do not want to be a sales person, I just don't have the personality for it nor do I like the idea. But I would like a field based job where I am out and about.

I do like travelling but I do not want to have to do it every day or have to cover the whole country.

My degree covers HR/Marketing/Finance/Economics/Operations etc. I am in for a solid 2:1 or 1st hopefully.

Please give me some ideas guys! Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Although heavily sales based, recruitment? Not always at your desk as you have to meet with clients and candidates, but not a lot of travelling as it tend to be fairly local visits.

Could also do HR for places with lots of work sites, although doesn't always mean you won't be at your desk for long periods of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Although heavily sales based, recruitment? Not always at your desk as you have to meet with clients and candidates, but not a lot of travelling as it tend to be fairly local visits.

Could also do HR for places with lots of work sites, although doesn't always mean you won't be at your desk for long periods of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've looked into this. HR jobs are scarce, graduate roles are largely based in Head Offices and are mostly pay-roll and training based. Though I will definitely consider it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAS_96)
    I've looked into this. HR jobs are scarce, graduate roles are largely based in Head Offices and are mostly pay-roll and training based. Though I will definitely consider it.
    Jobs like the one you talk about are rare. You are either travelling around a lot, or stuck at a desk. If you are considering HR/Marketing, also look at Graduate Recruitment (what I did in my career). Mixture of travelling to different universities during certain months, some desk work but enough meetings/event with people to feel like you are never at your desk all day.

Or look into events management. That will be more project management skills, with the need to be away from desk when the events run. You can do event work for larger companies, or work for large venues/event management companies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.