Latin gcse help! Watch

chocolatefandom
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Taking my Latin GCSE in May/June this year (I'm in Y10) and I have no idea where to start revising! Does anyone have any tips?? Much appreciated
Nesgul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you use the Cambridge Latin text books? If so, make sure that you go to the black pages and learn all of the vocabulary on them. Also make sure you learn the verb endings for present and past tense, as well as any irregulars, then the rest falls into place. Luckily for us, Latin is very similar to English and Romance languages so it is very easy (in my opinion anyway). You are definitely starting at the right time (coming from someone who got 100% in Latin). Good luck
chocolatefandom
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Nesgul)
Do you use the Cambridge Latin text books? If so, make sure that you go to the black pages and learn all of the vocabulary on them. Also make sure you learn the verb endings for present and past tense, as well as any irregulars, then the rest falls into place. Luckily for us, Latin is very similar to English and Romance languages so it is very easy (in my opinion anyway). You are definitely starting at the right time (coming from someone who got 100% in Latin). Good luck
Thankyou very much! I used to use the CLC but we moved off it recently and now we just learn grammar and I find it so so hard
Nesgul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chocolatefandom)
Thankyou very much! I used to use the CLC but we moved off it recently and now we just learn grammar and I find it so so hard
My best tip for learning grammar is really just to keep reading and looking over Latin sentences and trying to translate them. When you recognise words you can start to understand what the sentence is saying by its order and the noun endings. It's a lot of hard work, but I'm sure you can make it.
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the above poster: use the grammar tables at the back of the CLC textbooks and learn those. There is also a useful course called 'So You Really Want to Learn Latin?', which has three books going from absolute beginner to GCSE and I use these to good effect as a crash revision course with members of my GCSE group who want a refresher in the grammar.

By all means send me a PM if you're still struggling and I'll see if I can help/suggest anything else which might be useful.
chocolatefandom
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thankyou so much! We used to use CLC but now we just do grammar. I am just unsure how to learn ALL the tenses/conjugations etc. in such a short space of time (I only have Latin once a week as I do it as an extra)
RKD123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Memrise- cannot recommend enough for learning vocabulary (and that goes for other languages too). Free online tool- check it out
Babyangelana
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just did my latin gcse in january and I got an A*. I would say you MUST MUST MUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I cannot stress enough, you must learn your vocabulary. I barely focused on the grammar, only learnt how to spot the perfect, imperfect and pluperfect tenses. Also how to spot whether its I, You, He/She/It, We, You (plural), They.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed